I fish with plastics, too. If you look at any books, videos, or talk to any tournament fishermen that use plastics, they will all tell you the same thing: You need to set the hook just a shade faster than instantly, or the bass will spit it out. And they do, violently. I have wound up with plastic worms in my lap because they spit it out so hard, and fast, and I was too late to hook them. That's why you use a bait-casting reel and heavy action rod, so there is no delay between you pulling back on the rod, and the hook stabbing them. Micro-seconds count.

And I did say "...within the limits of the equipment". Yes, you'll land larger, and more bass with a Bait-Casting Reel and a heavy action rod, with a 7" inch purple Zoom Worm, dipped in Nightcrawler scented Smelly Jelly. But as far as strikes, bass hit worm flies just as good as plastics. The problem with fly worms is that fly tackle, for the most part, is not rugged enough to 'pull' a bass from cover before they can wrap you up. And the limberness of the fly rod (necesary to be able to cast), causes a substantial delay between the time you pull back on the rod, and the hook actually stabs into the basses jaw. It will also do so with much less power, due to the cushioning effect of the rods limberness.

I wasn't trying to say that Fly Rod worms are better. Only that it is do-able to catch bass on them.

Happy fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
Hi Gig,

It hurts me to have to disagree with another warmwater, fly fishin, Southern Boy but I believe that plastic is far better then feathers, hair or braided anything in getting LMB to hold on to the bait. The guys who first fished the early plastic worms used to light and smoke a cigarette between the time they first detected a take and the time they actually set the hook. In fact, if plastic has a flaw, it the problem of gut-hooked fish if you wait too long on the hook set. The texture, scent and taste of plastic is pretty hard to beat. Fish like it and don't let go! Even a small delay in dropping or expelling the bait gives the fisherman an advantage (particularly the novice fly fisherman). I'm not saying that fish can't be caught with braided worms, fur whatevers and hard hackle worms. I just don't think that the fish hold on as long and more skill is reguired in detecting a take---notice I don't use the term strike. I do agree that purple is a great color . Take care! 8T