+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matrix Blanks by American Tackle

Hybrid View

Default Matrix Blanks by American Tackle

I have been looking at building my first fly rod and have gotten a catalog from MudHole. This being my first rod I don't want to spend a lot in case I mess up. I have been looking at all the different blanks and noticed the Matrix series by American tackle. I am thinking about a 2 piece 8' or 8' 6" 4 or 5 weight can anyone give me any advise about this blank or maybe recommend something better.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

The Matrix blanks are a good value for the money. The ones I have cast have a medium fast action and decent feel. I like the look of the green Matrix blank, however, I like more traditional looks better. Another option would be Tiger Eye blanks. To me they feel a little slower, but have a more traditional look. These blanks outperform their cost.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Smile Sevier Tiger Eye

Follow the link.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=29484

Steve ( Midwest Custom Fly Rods ) is one of the top rod builders to post on this board. He wouldn't build custom rods on Sevier Tiger Eye blanks if he wasn't sold on the quality. Another really good rod builder on this board, Smernsky ( aka Creative Ed ) also builds many rods on the Tiger Eye blanks.

I built a 6' for 2/3 two piece on a Tiger Eye last year about this time and found it to be a very good rod. And the blank was very reasonably priced. I got it from Schneider Rods, but the blanks are available from other sources - for example Lotech just posted on a rod that he is building ( same one I built ) on a Tiger Eye he got from Steve.

Another one of our fine rod builders, Betty Hiner, has built several rods on Tiger Eye blanks. I can't speak for her, but my recollection is that she really liked those rods.

John
    The fish are always right.

Tiger Eye rods are really fine! The have good feel, very responsive, and they're really good looking!!

Thank you, John!
    Betty Hiner
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

the tiger eye blank is a wonderfull blank to build on and ends up being a very very good rod for most everyone. I buy through sevior manufacturing but you have to have a min $50.00 order there. the tiger eye there is 23.00 and 24.00 depending on the length (8' or 8'6"). Here is their web site http://store.seviermfg.com/ and Dave is very very good to work with. Not only can you get the blank but all materials to build with right there. Just my 2 cents.

Blog Entries

Smile welcome to the disease

Hi raider........ I'm gonna try to kill two birds with one stone here. But first let me say welcome to Rodbuilding and I wish you all success.

First: I noticed on your other post about a needing a wrapper/ dryer on a low cost budget.
    My first suggestion is to go on the feature section of this web site and bring up Art Cambell's guide to "rod building" and print it out for continued reference. It is an excellent strating point and will explain a lot ,as well as show you what you can get away with on a starter budget.

Second: As posted the tiger eye blanks are excellent and beautiful blanks, and their prices are very good. If this is your very first attempt though at building then ,,,,,,,,I might suggest before buying any blank, your practice be done on a simple old arrow or dowel stick first. Get the wrapping down first on a couple of guides and practice applying epoxy or finish to those wraps. Once you have accomplished a nice wrap on a snake guide and mastered the epoxy finish (which for most is the most difficult part), then I would say venture to the blank of your choice. This may save you a lot of headaches and dissapointment in the beginning........Ed

Below is one of my typical Tiger Eye builds
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 07-08-2009 at 01:54 AM.

It's hard to beat both the Amtak Matrix series and the Sevier Tiger Eye blanks. Both are extremely nice blanks that are good quality and don't cost an arm and leg for ethier one.

The action is very close between the two blanks. Some of the lower weight TE's seema bit faster than the lower wt Matrix, but then some of the higher (6wt & up) Matrix seem faster than the 6wt and up TE's IMO but it's not a very noticeable difference.

Price for each are pretty close, Matrix are a "tad" higher from most places but not much. Really what it boils down to is what look you like better. Ask "dunfly" mentioned the Matrix are a more hi-tec look with the woven 30" butt design, and the TE are a bit more traditional looking with the root beer brown color.

Really hard to go wrong with ethier one IMO

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    the tiger eye blank is a wonderfull blank to build on and ends up being a very very good rod for most everyone. I buy through sevior manufacturing but you have to have a min $50.00 order there. the tiger eye there is 23.00 and 24.00 depending on the length (8' or 8'6"). Here is their web site http://store.seviermfg.com/ and Dave is very very good to work with. Not only can you get the blank but all materials to build with right there. Just my 2 cents.
    Harley ... The $50 minimum order just means MULTIPLE BLANKS!!!! <just trying to be helpful...>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have not assembled on a Tiger Eye or a Matrix blanks but I really like the Forecast RX6 or Rainshadow RX7 blanks. These are high quality blanks that are affordable. I recently assembled a RX7 8'6" 4 piece 3 wt. that is a great rod. I like it much better than the Sage VT2 blank in the same configuration I just did for a friend. Also the TFO Finesse blanks are really nice for the price. One of my favorite 4 wts. is my Finesse 8'9" 4 piece 4 wt. Be careful with rod building it is very addictive and loads of fun.

Lanny

Bass_Bug Guest

My first 3 rods were built on blanks from Jann's, Not sure who they get them from but they are good for the money. I have a 5wt Tiger Eye (from Schienders) that I'm working on. A good blank, and great looking finish in the sunlight. I wanted a Matrix blank and was going to use black hardware with the Matrix woven reel seat. I thought a rod with a 'High Tech' theme would look really cool.

I had the chance to go to MudHoles showroom/store in Orlando before I bought the TE. I was on vacation (Disney thing) and wasnt planning on buying a blank there at the time, but ask to see a Matrix blank. The woven 'matrix' look only goes 2/3rds up from the butt, then it's just green. That changed my mind against the Matrix, because once you add a reel seat and handle, you only get a small section of the woven part showing? I dont know what they were thinking, but to me it dosent look that good not going all the way.

No matter what you decide on, get a catalog from JannsNetcraft http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/. Janns even has a couple inexpensive kits (compared to other kits on the markets)

Jann's is one of the cheapest for rod building and fly tying supplies. Like Mudhole, neither has a fancy storefront with high overhead costs. Just a simple showroom with many items they carry only kept back in the warehouse/mailorder part.

+ Reply to Thread