You've just got to love a furled leader. I've not found any leader that turns over flies better. My first one I bought , my second one I made with a jig just about like the one you have there. I use a taper of about 50/30/10. I usually only fish a 6wt. or a 4wt. The material I most often use is 6/0 uni thread which in a two hundred yard spool will build about five leaders that I use on both. Just a few less turns in each leg on the 4wt leader. I build about a 5ft. leader and add about three to four feet of tippet , which is still amazing , and it turns over flies like magic. My best test when trying new formulas is to use the same rod , same length tippet and a fairly wind resistant fly. Some may work little better than others but none are bad.
To me the toughest part to master is getting the furl just tight enough and closing the ends. I only use a shorb loop at both ends for easy loop to loop connections , no knots and a streamlined action on the water. Theres a lot of good info out there and Kathy Scotts is one of the best.