+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay, now what?

Default Okay, now what?

Hello again all,and I hope that everyone is having a good holiday season so far!

Well, I have a good one for all of you out there. I am going to be going on a 3 day bow hunting trip with a few friends next week. We are going after whitetailed deer mainly, but I have come to a conclusion. The first red fox squirrel that wanders into bow range will have an arrow chasing it! I am planning on using the fur of the squirrel, and the deer for that matter, for fly tying material.

So the main question is ... once I have a squirrel skinned, what do I do to preserve the fur???

I know that I am going to have to put something on it, to keep the fur attached to the skin, but what?

Is there any care that needs to be taken care of while skinning, of afterwards, to make the hide better for tying?

As I love to use a Red Fox Squirrel Nymph for my adventures on the water, I want to be able to have a full squirrel hide so that I could tie more than just a couple that I can get off most store bought squirrel tails!

Any and all advise is GREATLY appreciated!!

Sincerely,
    Reg

PS I guess I forgot to mention that the same questions go for deer hair, and specific areas of deer hair that are the most useful!

nighthawk Guest

I like to stretch the hides as it makes them easier to work. Scrape all tissue and fat from the under side of the hide. Rub the under side down with salt. Dust the hide with borax. Allow the hide to dry. If you get the hide clean the borax and salt will take care of any bugs and moisture. You can also work a little vegetable oil into the hide to help keep it from getting stiff.

BTW, What do you fly? I was an enlisted Aero Scout and helicopter Crew Chief.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

What I used to do was to scrape as much excess meat and fat off as possible without wrecking the skin, and roll it up with 50% salt and alum mix until I could get it into a tanning solution and do it properly. If your'e just after the hair and not the pelt, the above will be enough. It's all we do with kangaroo, possum and deer here, as a stiff old skin doesn't matter for tying flies. If you have the luxury of time, soak in salty water overnight first to get as much blood out of the skin as poss.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

There has been many question on the board lately because of hunting season. Wash with soapy water and rinse, to get the blood dirt etc off the skin and hair. Remove flesh and only use Twenty` Mule Team Borax --no salt or alum. No need to tan the hide unless you plan on a deer skin coat!!!!! You can just tack it to a board and air dry it.Chris Helms air dried 30 deer skins this fall,imagine the amount of salt alum or borax he would have used.

------------------

Bill

Save the $10-$20 you will waste by ruining the arrow and buy a fox squirrel skin.

I know from first hand experience. The little suckers are dang hard to hit and even if you do hit it there is a fair chance you will ruin your broadhead and/or arrow.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

nighthawk Guest

All good advice here. I would use dawn dish washing liquid for the soapy water. Works as good as any pesticide and is friendly to the environment.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

JC, brought up a good point which i should have included in my post. if you are going to use the bow for small game use the right equipment. Dont do like i did and shoot one of your deer arrows w/broadhead at a squirrel.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

While on the subject of dder hair, etc. I thought I would tell you how I picked up enough deer hair to last a lifetime. I talked to the local taxidermist about it, and he brought me a large grocery bag full of scraps that he cuts off while mounting deer heads, etc. I have deer hair from about every part of a deer imaginable. All tanned and in a bag.

You know a taxidermist, ask it can't hurt!

Thank you all for the advise so far!!!

Well, Crotalus and Mr. Castwell has brought up good and valuable points. I have been bow hunting for more years than I care to count, and I know the value of using the right arrow for the right game. I have taken a number of squirrels with my bow during the years, but until recently have never thought to use the hair for fly tying. I know ... I know!!!!

Anyway Crotalus, or anyone else for that matter, where can I find a place to buy a good Fox Squirrel Skin??? I have never seen them for sale anywhere!!

Mr. Castwell, your comments on flu-flus made me LMAO!!!!!!! I used to bird and rabbit hunt with an uncle that used those things. I think I will always rememerb him TRYING to hit a bird with those arrows!!!

Now just a couple of last questions for all. Where can I get Borax,what is it, and do you coat the entire hide / fur in it???

Sincerely,
    Reg

Hey Reg,

Check out this FAOL sponsor. [url=http://www.flytyingfurs.com/:2e23b]http://www.flytyingfurs.com/[/url:2e23b]
    Warm regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread