Hello again all,and I hope that everyone is having a good holiday season so far!

Well, I have a good one for all of you out there. I am going to be going on a 3 day bow hunting trip with a few friends next week. We are going after whitetailed deer mainly, but I have come to a conclusion. The first red fox squirrel that wanders into bow range will have an arrow chasing it! I am planning on using the fur of the squirrel, and the deer for that matter, for fly tying material.

So the main question is ... once I have a squirrel skinned, what do I do to preserve the fur???

I know that I am going to have to put something on it, to keep the fur attached to the skin, but what?

Is there any care that needs to be taken care of while skinning, of afterwards, to make the hide better for tying?

As I love to use a Red Fox Squirrel Nymph for my adventures on the water, I want to be able to have a full squirrel hide so that I could tie more than just a couple that I can get off most store bought squirrel tails!

Any and all advise is GREATLY appreciated!!

Sincerely,
Reg

PS I guess I forgot to mention that the same questions go for deer hair, and specific areas of deer hair that are the most useful!