+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tom & Warren fished the Elk River today

Hybrid View

Default Tom & Warren fished the Elk River today

Tom Roberts (Doublewide on FAOL) and I fished the Elk River in TN plus a feeder creek coming into the Elk River today and we caught trout and skipjack from the river and smallmouth and channel cat from the feeder creek. Attached is a picture of Tom with a smallmouth and one of a 19" smallmouth plus some pictures of the Elk River where we fished. All fish were caught on either a black and white leech yarn pattern or an all black leech yarn pattern.

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Looks like you guys had a blast! Wish I could have joined you. I really don't think it gets much better than floatin' and fishin' a river. So peaceful and enjoyable, whether you are catchin' or not!

GREAT Smallmouth!
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Blog Entries

Warren, are you gonna get a commision for getting me to buy one of those boats?

Ed

Second that Ed. Thats a cool looking little craft. Is that a trolling motor on the front?

Default NuCanoe, Too

Warren -

That is the best ad I've seen for the NuCanoe so far.

I know you are really big on that little watercraft, and it is obvious that it gets you into some pretty nice places - and fishies.

If and when I get around to floating / drifting / rowing rather than walking / wading, I'm going to have to take a GOOD look at one.

John
    The fish are always right.

No, I do not get a commission on NuCanoe sales, but, I do love mine and highly recommend it to everyone who sees it! I am 61 and have had the 10' flatbottoms, 13' alum. canoe and a Hobie Cat 75. I liked all of them but with the flatbottom, I needed to install a trolling motor to navigate upstream on my rivers which meant I would have to register it with the State and put numbers on it and re-register each year and they keep raising the cost on that. I liked the canoe except I found it difficult to paddle upstream against the current and it just was not stable enough for me. The Hobie Cat 75 was great. It rows upstream without much effort and I really enjoyed it. When I saw the NuCanoe I noticed several things I liked. I could haul more in it, another person could go with me if needed, with a double bladed paddle it paddles just as easily as a kayak upstream against the current, it is very stable, has a recess down the middle so that I could sit in it like in a chair and not have my legs stretched out in front of me like in a kayak, I installed their swivel seat bracket so I can fish from the sides or back if necessary and it weighs 65 pounds and it is just 10' long and slides right in the back of my Ford Ranger. They come as either a 10' or 12' model. The item up front is an anchor mate so that I can raise and lower the front anchor from where I am sitting plus I have an anchor in the rear that I can control from where I am sitting. The anchor mate bracket, that you see in the picture, is removeable for when I am hauling the boat in my Ranger. I have a solid hinged up front cover on my Ranger and removing the front anchor mate allows me to close the cover when hauling. There are threaded holes inside that allow you to position the seat where you need it. For instance, if there is someone up front, I can reposition my seat further back for paddling and if I am by myself, I move my seat towards the center for solo paddling. I am usually by myself and have their storage box up front that you can see in the picture. It works great for the camera and cell phone storage and other items. I believe it has a drain plug so that you could use it as a cooler it you wanted to. Their web site states you can stand to fish from this boat, but, I do not intend to do that. At 61 my balance is not what it used to be and I own waders and wading boots for fishing while standing plus this time of the year, I wet wade. I use my NuCanoe for exploring the rivers here. I can drift through the deep runs and holes and drop anchor if I want to fish them. When I get to the shallow fast water sections, I just drop anchors and wade fish these areas and then pull the NuCanoe through them and get back in and paddle to the next fast water section. When using the double bladed paddle, this boat just glides on the water and is very responsive to a paddle.

Yes, I really like my NuCanoe and feel for the price, you cannot beat it. It may not be for everyone, but, it is what I wanted a boat to do and I enjoy mine. I like knowing I can go anywhere I want very easily and do not need a battery and trolling motor to weigh me down although they do have a trolling motor for it. See their web site.

They are a sponsor here and you can view more details from their web site.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 07-07-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

What a great thread for me. I will upgrade from my "waterwagon" someday. Don't laugh its fun! (forgot life jacket but got one from truck shortly after pic was taken).

I borrowed a 12 ft johnboat ( didn't care for it), not crazy about canoes, and love the looks of the float cat 75 (I have thier catalog on my desk). Now I will have to check out the Nucanoe. Looks and sounds great! Thanks again for the info! I bet you'll had a great time on the fishin trip!

PS How about 2 people flyfishing at the same time in the Nucanoe?
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread