+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will the rod stay together?

careful with any wax or oil. can pick up grit when broken down, leading to scratching/damaging your rod. the male end leaves wax inside the female and must be cleaned out periodically with a q-tip or something to get rid of any dust/grit.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Wink Nose oil...Bad!

I remember when I last advised someone to use nose oil in an emergency on the BB, JC got very blunt about how bad that is for the ferrules. His point was that nose oil has salt in it and it encourages corrosion. That was August 2005 and I've never said it since.

Your best bet is to wipe the ferrules down and use a little bar soap, it lubes and is water soluble. I found this in an old post that said this advice came from Ron Kusse.

Hope it helps.

Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I believe JC and Ron were referring to nickle silver metal ferrules, not graphite sleeve over ferrules like OTTO has on his rod.

4. Default

Yes, you'll find that most modern cane rod manufacturers actively discourage the use of skin oils on nickel-silver ferrules for the reasons given above; skin oils are acidic and will promote corrosion no matter what dad or grandad told you.

In the case of your graphite rod: if the problem is as severe as you describe I would strongly suspect that you might have a hairline crack in the female ferrule. It might not be apparent to the eye but would open under load and allow the joint to work while casting. Paraffin might work temporarily but would be, at best, a stop-gap measure.

Smile

I sent an e-mail to St Croix on Tuesday. They not only confirmed putting wax on the ferrule and using the 1/4 twist but sent me the wax which I received the very next day. That's customer service! Thanks to all for the advise and I'll try it out this weekend.

OTTO

Default Just two cents

Here's a question: Is the cause of the rod tip, or for that matter the reel falling off, caused by torque or twisting during the power stroke of casting, or is it a problem with the design or maintainance of the ferrules? BTW, wax is my choice.

And for all that don't know: one way to get the rod apart when it's jammed tight, is too put he rod behind your knees, both hands close to the ferrule and separate the knees to get the rod apart. I'm sure there are others. Pass 'em on.

These comments are for discussion.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread