+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know why?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Anyone know why?

It seems the 2 ton epoxy that I rely on for putting together my reel seats and handles has gone out of style. I can normally pick it up at any of our local stores, but now no one has it. I can get the 5 minute, gorilla glue, super glue and even 1 minute epoxy, but the regular 2 ton is not carried in any of the local stores I've tried. Anyone have any guess why?
    Also, has anyone used the 5 minute variety for handles/seats? I'm under the impression that it isn't as strong as the 2-ton stuff, but is it sufficient for rod handles? I'm out of rod bond, have plenty of 5 minute, and need to see what my options are for building up my next rod.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

By chance is it Devcon? If so I'm having the same problem and the only place I could find it was at Lowes and Sears Hardware. As for the 5 minute stuff , I can only relate to the one and only failure I ever had with a reel seat bond to blank which lead me to steer clear of using it.........Ed

Last time I purchased epoxy I checked specifications on the labels.

I couldn't believe it and still not sure I do as I finally bought my original slow dry epoxy but the bond strength on the 5 minute was greater than that of the 2 Ton!. With modern marvels its possible the 5-minute is now stronger.

It wouldn't surprise me - everybody is in so much of a hurry nowadays I am sure more research would go into the quicker dry.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    By chance is it Devcon?
    Yep, that's the stuff. But if the 5 minute is stronger, I'm ok with that.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

It very well may be blue............ The 5min. stuff I used was a different brand I believe. I'll have to check it myself ( the devcon 5min, stuff that is), because I never had a problem with the devcon brand. Thanks for that insight Panfisher.........Ed

Well, the answer is right there in your O-riginal post.
    It's 2 ton epoxy, right?
    Well, it got all used up.
    Because they only made 2 tons of it.
    Shift gears, escape.....
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

I have built a few rods and repaired golf clubs. I always stayed away from the 5 min epoxy because of the shear strength. It always tended to be a little less giving. I would try to get something other than 5 min if possible.

ACE Hardware is the place. Give them a try as I purchased a bunch there recently.

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    ACE Hardware is the place. Give them a try as I purchased a bunch there recently.
    Yep, Ace hardware is the place I stared at all the labels for over half an hour. They must've had 8 or 9 different brands and types. All of it a bit confusing that's why I backed off and went with my usual slow dry.

It just struck me that the 5-minute had a higher bond strength. I figure the slow dry will eventually be phased out as everyone wants the quick stuff. More research will always be done on the stuff people want and a profit can be made.

Let's hope a chemist can chime in and explain all this to us.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Will Ace hardware order any in for you? Sometimes they don't realize 1)they're out of a product 2)it's something people still want. If they have it in their warehouse, they should be able to get it for you.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread