+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Out by Keppoch Mountain NS

Hybrid View

Default Out by Keppoch Mountain NS

Hi,

Yesterday I went out with Vanessa, Genesta, and my Dad to a river by Keppoch Mountain (and old ski hill in Nova Scotia). It's a popular river, and while we were there a few others people showed up to fish as well.

Dad took Genesta for a stroll as it was getting close to her nap time so this would give Vanessa and I some time to fish first. While they wondered along, they spotted a red fox running through the field. It was having a great time, and didn't appear too disturbed by our presence. We all got a look, but the camera wasn't out and ready in time for a shot.

The day itself was overcast, just on the verge of rain, but civilized enough to hold off while we were busy. It's been quite cool the past week, so we were hopeful that the trout would be active. Vanessa made her way down to the river by the bridge where there was a nice pool. Before I had the 2nd rod set up she was into a fish.

It was about 23 cm (9 inches), but as it turns out, it was also the largest of the day! More importantly, it was Vanessa's first brook trout ever, and her first trout in Nova Scotia. It took a size 10 Invicta like pattern, but the body was wool I had dyed in dandelions (a light dirty brown colour). I caught my first NS brookie of this trip on the same fly, so of course, I've tied a few more of them. By the end of it, Vanessa landed another smaller one, and I landed 3 fingerlings (two on an orange/grizzle bumble, one on a paramachene belle). Genesta kept saying "Mommie caught a big fish", and was very proud of mum. Very cute. Indeed, there is so much more to fishing than just fishing.

Vanessa's first brookie:

Looking down to the bridge:

Looking down from below the bridge:

- Jeff

Thumbs up

!!! Very nice Brookie, those waters Jeff, I can't help but think about them,in the middle of no where, full of Brookies, great looking water to boot "and" good company to share it with.... Wow! Enjoy...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Priceless in all aspects Jeff.
    Steve

Looks like a good day had by all, on both sides of the camera shutter. Nice goin'.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Smile

A red fox and a happy kid. That would top off any good day on the water. Nicely done, Jeff.

John
    The fish are always right.

Nice one Jeff. Hope you manage to get out a bit more before you head home!
    I am going to Turangi for few days to fish the Tongariro at the end of the week, Paula is comming with me so its not a full on fishing trip but I will let you know how I go.
    We will have to hit the Waiomu once you are back.
    All the best.
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread