+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sunglasses

Hybrid View

Default Sunglasses

Just need a new pair and I am wanting to get a better pair that is more usefull for fishing. I have a pair of polarized but is there a difference with lense color? I will mainly bass, bream and some salt water if that helps out.

Thanks in advance
    Jason
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

Most people feel they can see details better when looking into the water with copper, amber, and brown lenses. This is because these colors filter out more of the blue wavelengths of light, which I understand the eye does not focus as well.

These colors tend not to block as much of total light across the spectrum and grey and blue are often preferred for very bright conditions. Most quality sunglasses manufacturers will list the percentage of light transmission for each of their colors on their websites.

For steam and saltwater flats fishing, or any situation where I want to be able to see well into the water I have found that copper/rose is the best color. I think Habervision is the only company that currently sells this color, but I may be wrong. My next favorite is copper. I have had copper lenses from several companies including Smith/Action Optics, Hobie,and Polar Eyes. I have found the copper/rose and copper to be the best color for me under cloudy skies. My third favorite color is brown, which tend to be darker than copper but not as dark as grey. I have had brown lenses from several companies including Smith/Action Optics, Guideline, and Fishermans Eyewear.

For very bright conditions such as on the open ocean under clear skies or alpine trout fishing where there is a lot of granite and other rock to reflect light, I prefer grey.

Yellow lenses are very helpful in the fog or at dawn and dusk.

I prefer photochromatic lenses that change intensity as the light changes. Most makers sell models with photochromatic copper or brown lenses.

I wear a pair of Habervision lenses with photochromatic copper rose lenses, or a Pair of Action Optics with photochromatic copper lenses for 90% of my fishing adventures. This includes trout, bass, panfish, and inshore saltwater angling.

Blog Entries

there is a brand of reasonably priced glasses called Eagle Eyes. they use some sort of "blue blocker" technology. they are great for fishing, salt and fresh, but don't try to drive the car: the green light is blue and the yellow is white. sorry, in a hurry, can't find the link, but try Google.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread