+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new guy casting help

Default new guy casting help

I took the casting class at BPS a couple of weeks ago. Last night I went fishing for the first time. Here's what happens; I get the line in the air pretty well with a series of false casts, with line out there pretty well and far. However, when I actually cast, the line and leader fall out of the sky about 15 feet in front of me in a wad on the water. Seems to me no matter what I try I can't get the fly out there where I want it where the fish are. What say you? Thanks...
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

My guess is that you are not letting the rod load adequately on your back cast and, then when you cast forward, you are trying to put to much power into the forward stroke.

Again, just my guess---but a fairly common problem when trying to really cast a long distance--you may have nice false casts but the real thing collapses on itself.

Mel Kriegers Casting Faults and Fixes has a section on this.

I agree, other ways of saying it that I found useful when I started decades ago was "feel the backcast straighten out behind you before bringing it forward".. another was "don't be in such a hurry"... another "keep the rod tip up, even after the forward cast." Practice in your backyard lots is another. Keep at it....it's worth it.

Practice is the key. As much as you can. Either in your yard, an open field. Working on your basic cast.

Once you have your basics down, then work on distance, hauls, etc. I found using the ole clock method(10-2) really works well and watch your back cast to watch the line straighten out before going into your forward cast. Let the rod load, do the work.

After awhile you'll start to feel the rod load up and develop a rhythm from your backcast to the forward cast. Your grip on the rod is important too.

Good luck and stick with it.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Blog Entries

Smile Casting

You also have to stop your rod, an actual quick stop which allows the rod to unload. If you cast forward and simply let the rod slowly move to a position in front of you and you never physically stop the rod then the rod won't unload which is what propels the line forward. The line will simply fall into a pile in front of you.

Not to confuse the issue:

Now then, to actually achieve this when you want it you still stop the rod and let the line shoot forward, then you give the tip a quick little movement backwards and the line will fall down. Done properly, the fly and leader complete their forward movement and land quietly upon the water and some of the line falls into a small pile. This is a parachute or pile cast, one of the ways to achieve slack in your line to allow the fly to float drag free for a longer period of time.

But then, first you have to learn to cast correctly. Timing is everything and make sure you stop your rod on both the forward and back casts.

Practice, practice, practice and you will get the hang of it.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

To me it sounds like a problem similar to the one I had. I would false cast all day long just great. But, when it came to laying down the line I would forget what makes the line roll out. STOP THE ROD. I would let it fall with the line and it would all pile up in front of me. Don't over power it just let it roll out and then lay it down AFTER it stretches out in front of you.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Here's something from this site that may help.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part10.php

I couldn't find the article but the late JC wrote one somewhere on this forum where he said hold the rod in your casting hand. With the other arm, hold your non-casting arm about an arms lenght in front of your face. On the forward cast, smak the rod into your outstretched hand so that it will make a sudden stop. That will get you to know the feel of what a sudden stop needs to be to get the line to go out there right.

I would advise practicing this way in the back yard instead of the lake as you may look a little whacky standing on the stream or at the lake slapping your rod in your hand. (or against your hand is more like it).

A ton of good stuff is here
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/

I am not saying this is your problem, as you made no mention of it, but some beginner casters false cast too long.
    There is a saying that after three false casts you are fishing if you want to or not.
    Excessive casting can cause the shape of the loop to fall apart and the line to get progressively lower. Eventually it runs out of energy and collapses on the water.

I think it's almost impossible to diagnose casting problems from a post. So many defects can cause the problem you described.

Here are the ones that caused me to have a similiar result:

1. When I cast my line hand was well below my rod hand, so I started the cast by moving my rod hand while my line hand stayed stationary; as a result the rod slid down the line and didn't load. To fix this defect I kept my hands closer together, and when I cast I moved them simultaneously. (I wasn't hauling).

2. I cast fairly square to the target. (My back back is slightly back from my front.) When I cast I was pulling my elbow back, which meant that I couldn't keep the rod tip moving in a straight line, so again the rod didn't fully load. The back cast, if you use this style of casting, is more of a lifting motion than a pulling one. To increase the length of my cast, I bend my knees, rotate my hips and shift my weight. This will cause my elbow to move back and forth, but it won't be because I'm pulling it. You can try moving your back foot farther back and cast more like Lefty Kreh, then you can move your elbow back and forth and keep the rod tip moving straight.

Randy

Sounds to me like you are..as mentioned...overpowering the final forward stroke...so easy to do this trying to get the most out of that final stroke....keep your same rhythm if your false casts are working
    Last edited by ducksterman; 07-04-2009 at 08:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread