+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random Stream in Nova Scotia

Hybrid View

Default Random Stream in Nova Scotia

Hi,

Well, I've been waiting for quite some time for this. Have finally made it back to Nova Scotia and got out into some backwoods streams. Went with my Dad, Brother in law, nephew, and one of his friends out along one of the forestry roads about 30 km from town (18 miles or so). Took a small 3 weight rod with me. Here's one of the streams:

I like this photo as you can see the ring from a rise. Nice. Anyway, the waters in the streams are very peaty (tea coloured) due, we think, to peat bogs. Anyway, there were all sorts of brookies around. I had about 5 or so strikes, and finally:

Yes, there is a wee 3 incher on the end of the line there! ha! took one fo the flies I tied with wool I dyed myself! Great fun. Will be going out again pretty soon. I've been exploring around, and have cast a line before now, but this was the kind of thing I've been wanting to get back to. Really nice to see again.

- Jeff

Jeff -

Some pretty good looking water you guys were on. The first pic reminds me of the stream I was on today. And I had some cutthroat trout that were probably smaller than your wee brookie !!

John
    The fish are always right.

Hi John,

I'm hoping to get out to them again. Bit of rain comming down this morning, but if it stops I may head out this afternoon. It's pretty close in work as the spruce trees come right up to the edge. Absolutely no backcasting here. Just little flicks of the line, and roll casting. I'm sure there are some bigger fish though. We were mostly exploring the area, and only fished for about 20 minutes. We did find two very good looking streams though, one which is just a long deep set of stills and the other a nice faster water. They are close to each other, so both can be targeted to see which is on.

- Jeff

Thumbs up !!!

JeffHamm, you have to know I'm sitting here with my mouth watering, I would LOVE to fish those streams... Streams that pretty in the middle of no where! With Brookies in them! Sounds like you have the best of company to be fishi'n them with too... LOL I'd be the type of guy that would come popping out of the woods from no where going, "Hey Jeff! I just had to be here!"...lol

Needless to say I'm looking forward to your report and pics...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Nice One Jeff, glad to see you have managed to get out.
    Hope all is well with you and your family.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Well done, Jeff. Nice report especially that pic with the rise ring! Keep dry and have fun.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Wink

Jeff -

Sounds like you are feeding those fishies some fine looking treats. Really enjoy the descriptions of the flies you are using, along with the comments on the fishing and fishes.

John

P.S. Time to get a waterproof camera !! The Olympus 1050SW seems to be going for about $160 from several sources I've seen. It lacks a few features that the 850SW has, but that camera is still priced at about $250 when I've seen it listed. Or you could go top of the line with something like the 1030SW or one of the Tough Olympus cameras. I'm sure Vanessa would understand, and appreciate the better opportunities for pics of Genesta !!
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread