+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rainy June

Blog Entries

Default Rainy June

Here in NY we are having a very rainy June, the rainiest since '72. But I think the trout must be smiling since most streams are well above normal flows for this time of year. Anyway this has kind of expanded the opportunity to fish for them as by now most streams would be pushing upper temp limits for stressing trout and I would be switched over to the smallies. Anyway last night I cruised around looking for a fishable stream and either found most at good flow but too colored or too high altogether. I fished a couple anyway, but no hatches, no activity, only a couple attempted takes.

Finally decided to head to a smaller high gradient stream that might be more fishable and contains only wild fish. The flow was much better with only a slight stain, but again no bugs. Made several passes with some caddis patterns and then switched over to some wets. Bang! Bang! Bang! One wet in particular was the "Hot" pattern, the Panman Special. You'll have to ask him what it is, but I can tell you it works! Just ask a hatfull of 9-11" wild brownies! Sorry no photo ops, camera went plunk on the first photo. Hope it recovers!

I hear ya. We in southeastern Idaho have just experienced our wettest June in more than fifty years. The South Fork of the Snake is still "blown" out. Flood stages and such downstream from Idaho Falls with most if not all boat launch access sites closed until further notice. Upside is that it will benefit the fisheries throughout the state.

kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Talking

Hi Mr. Wizard!

Sorry to hear your camera took ANOTHER bath. Maybe it's time for an Optio or an Olympus waterproof camera. I've heard that if you put a camera in a ziploc bag with some uncooked rice, that it draws the moisture out of it quicker. Guess it beats dropping it in a vat of hot oil! It appears that farleycat's camera hasn't fully recovered from that experience.

If you're up for a road trip, get a hold of gzacckey or myself - we're pondering our fishing options for this weekend. I'm off 'til Sunday........Ed

P.S. - All this rain is good for the recovery of any trees that may have received damage within the last month or so.....

ehh please no talk of rain.

If you can please send it over here

Here in the Denver area, we had our 2nd wettest June EVER! 4.86" of rain officially at the airport (DIA aka KDEN). The record is held by the year 1882...

I heard that if the official measurement was still downtown Denver, we would have BEATEN the record!!!
    "Engineers don't idle well."

Haven't fished the Upper Iowa River in northeast Iowa for the past three weeks. It's running high and muddy from too much rain. I'm hoping it will be better for this weekend...I'm getting withdrawal symptoms as the farm pond fishing just isn't cutting it.
    !

Quote Originally Posted by DazWah View Post
    ehh please no talk of rain.

If you can please send it over here
    Oh! That looks like a disaster, DazWah.
    Hope that reservoir gets filled soon, mate.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

+ Reply to Thread