+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Flies To Take Along

Default Top 10 Flies To Take Along

HI: I'll be fishing out West for the first time from August 14 to the 23. I believe we'll be fishing the Yellowstone, Gallatin, Madison and a few of the spring creeks in Paradise Valley. I fugure that you men and women that fish these as your home waters would be able to give me some advice. I always tie too many flies for my trips and I'm trying to avoid that this time. Is it possible to narrow my choices down to say, maybe, 10 top flies including nymphs and dries. I've been told already that I should have PTs in sizes 20 and 22. I've already tied 1 1/2 doz. miracle midges in those sizes. I just don't want to go overbaord like I usually manage.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Bruce

San juans in red and pink, I use 12-16's. Thats my only recommendation. All others seem to be a day-to-day basis, but san juans always slay on the rivers around here.

For the yellowstone, definitely some big streamers. There are some monster fish in the yellowstone around livingston and one of my friends who guides it is always trying to get me to switch to big fat hairy streamers.

Check troutfitters.com 1-2 weeks before you leave for a fishing report and a fly recommendation, just keep in mind that they want to sell the flies, so they always list tons of different flies and sizes. They are an outfit out of Bozeman that I definitely recommend you stop by while you are around.

Also, for around that time I would always pack some hoppers with me. I am told that a parachute madame x will hook more fish than a gillnet some days on the yellowstone and the madison.
    Last edited by shadesofsisyphus; 07-01-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff

Elk Hair Caddis

If you're going to try for any brookies in the spring creeks, definitely bring some royal wulffs. For whatever reason, they seem to love that red color.

Also, prince nymphs and PT nymphs do well.

And, of course, wooly buggers.

Default Previously Posted

I've posted questions before about fishing out West, but now I'm trying to narrow my selection of flies down to what is necessary.
    Thanks

I have done really well on the spring creeks there with a size 20 black WD40.

Best of luck.

If it were me, this is what I would bring (in order for each type nymph, dry, streamer):

1. PT's size 16-20, in natural and black
    2. Black Midges size 18-22
    3. San Juan Worms size 16, Red
    4. Yellow Sally / Golden Stone size 12-18
    5. RS2 size 16-20, tan, brown, black, grey, olive, and even red
    6. Elk Hair Caddis size 14-18, yellow and orange body (reverse tied might be a good idea)
    7. Terrestrials size 12-14, maybe some 10 (Hoppers, beetles, crickets, ants)
    8. Pale Morning Dun size 16-20
    8. Parachute Adams size 14-18
    9. BWO size 16-20
    10. Silver tungsten bead-head Wolly Buggers size 10-16, black/olive or brown/olive

I would also consider Copper Johns, WD40's, Drakes, Tricos, and maybe even Salmonflies, but if I were to pick 10, that's my list.
    "Engineers don't idle well."

That's a lot of different water; I'd hate to tie myself (no pun intended) down to just 10 dry flies, let alone nymphs, streamers, etc. Make sure you have something to cover the Spruce Fly "hatch" - #12-14 cream/tan EHC works. I'd also pack rusty spinners (#14-20), CDC & Elk, Iris Caddis, X2 Caddis, hoppers (flat and rough water varieties), beetles, crickets, ants (flying, too), Trude Coachman (in deference to Richard Parks), para-adams, sparkle duns, hairwing duns, Quigly cripples. Have fun, catch a bunch.

Regards,
    Scott

Default Hi Scott

I realize there's probably going to be more than 10 flies I'll need. I'm just trying to get a handle on the situation. I don't want to tie 30 different patterns and end up using only 5 or 6. I carry way too many flies with me and I'm trying to narrow my selction.
    Thanks for your input,
    Bruce

ehc, sjw, ptn's, tctk, rs2's, bwo's, and if you can find it, alder flies in everything from 12-18. Thats all I really ever carry unless I am hitting really big water. Wooley buggers work decent on the madison, but there will most likely be a hatch on, so they should be a low number searching pattern if anything.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Trude Coachman (in deference to Richard Parks)
    That's funny. I fished in the park last October and stopped in the shop. Of course I bought some trudes! And if you read his book, in almost every stream he mentions the trude as an effective pattern.

+ Reply to Thread