Thread: Top 10 Flies To Take Along

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I don't want to tie 30 different patterns and end up using only 5 or 6. I carry way too many flies with me and I'm trying to narrow my selction.
    Bruce,

That makes good sense. First time I went out there, I did the same thing. Spent a lot of days fishing one or two flies, at least until evening (or early morning) when different stuff happened. Some places you can try 10 or more different flies before you figure out what they're biting on, other streams you fish 10 different flies to figure out what they won't take. You've received good advise from others on patterns; also on checking Troutfitters site - good shop, reports are light on the BS.
    Don't fish nymphs much but I'd definitely bring PTs 14-20 in variety of dress - standard, flashback, bead-head, soft-hackle; Copper Johns, Hares Ears, Prince, something big/black/rubber-legged. Actually, a variety of soft-hackles would be nice to have - they cover stages of caddis, mayfly hatches and can do good things.
    For streamers, I'd have buggers (black, brown, olive), Marabou Muddlers with and without conehead, Double Bunnies.
    One other general tying thing - for a lot of my dries, I try to incorporate foam or more hackle; many of the rivers are bigger than what I fish back east and this helps to keep them floating in rougher water.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 07-03-2009 at 01:35 PM.