+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: accidents while tying?

Normand Guest

Default accidents while tying?

OK ive spilled some head cement and had a hook in the bottom of one sock

anybody else want to admit to something??

I glued my scissors shut with super glue.

Roy

Blog Entries

I left a candle (melted some glue and burned the ends on some San Juan Worms) burning in a Renzetti foam tool caddy, and went fishing.

Came home, house smelled like fire, which wasn't unusual since my roommate did do forest fires on occasion. Was sitting at my computer (after wiping off the keyboard, which was covered with greasy sooty stuff), turned to get something from the tying bench...

There was a burned spot in the tying bench, about 18 inches across, with the remnants of tools, feathers, fur, synthetics, etc in it. I think the only thing that saved me was that the bench was particleboard and didn't actaully catch fire, just charred.

Lesson learned.

Other than the box of 100 size 28's in the carpet?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default accidents while tying?

Humm???

Can not think of any??

Denny

I spilled head cement on a brand new office desk at home...the lady was none too happy...took the finish clear off of one very large spot

also buried a size 18 barbed hook in my toe which musta been hiding in the carpet...had to take the pliers to it and rip it out...was not a fun moment for me, im squeamish as it is..i may have cried.

While I've learned many ways how not to do things, I thought I'd share one that was funny after it happened. I wear trifocals so when I tie I use a 7 inch lighted magnifier. I had just finished a very nice streamer and added a drop of head cement when I noticed a bit of thread blocking part of the hook eye. I thought I'd use my handy-dandy cauterizer/burner to burn the thread out and the fly should be fine. The moment I touched the cauterizer to the hook eye, the head cement caught fire and started burning up the fly. Instinctively, I started blowing on the fly to put the fire out. Unfortunately, the magnifier was still in place and all I managed to do was blow spit onto the magnifier lens. Even when my mind caught up with what was happening, my instinct still told me to blow out the fire. As expected, the fly was a total loss but at least I got a good chuckle at myself and how funny it must have looked if anyone was watching me.

Jim Smith
    Last edited by James Smith; 06-30-2009 at 05:45 PM.

I often tie barefoot and one time dropped my scissors and they stuck in the top of my foot!

Wayneb

left a bag of Hoffman necks in my tent only to return to find the squirrels had chewed through the tent zipper and had decorated the pines around the tent with feathers ...lots and lots of feathers.........nine necks worth
    Last edited by bones; 06-30-2009 at 07:07 PM.
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

Sometime last Summer I was tying at my desk, went upstairs for a drink and felt an "owee!" between the first and second toe of my right foot. Took off my sock and found a Tiemco 100 hook, size #18 buried past the barb. Tried to get it out to no avail. I went to the Dr. and it took three of them more than 2 hours to extract that pesky little thing!
    Ouch! I guess I still haven't learned my lesson since I still tie without shoes on.
    Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread