Thread: Fishin today

Threaded View

Default Fishin today

Last Sunday afternoon I invited a friend to go fish a small stream with me. He had never been wade fishing. He doesn't fly fish (yet), so we used spinning gear and had a great time. It was a very hot humid afternoon and the cool waters of Red River felt great for both of us. We caught a few fish on beetle spins. Ky Bass, rock bass,white bass and sunfish. We fished till sundown and then had to find a place to get out of the very steep banks of the creek. We found a place finally but it was now dark and as we were hiking back to the truck we relized that we had walked thru a patch of stinging neetle. Ouch! We both had a great time. Our first fishing trip together. I contacted him during the week and asked if he was ready for another Red River trip the next Sunday afternoon. He was on go! He would pick me up and the same time and place. Today, I decided to be brave and use my fly rod. This is only my second fly rod trip on a stream. The water was a little high and stained. I started out fishing a "goldie" with a strike indicator. I just want to see how the indicator worked in current. I think I may have gotten a couple of hits but no fish. I noticed that fish were hitting my indicator so I switch over to a "gurgle pop". I caught a couple of small bass. I also used a "roll cast" and had a fish grab my fly but I lost the fish in a stump. About dark, I hit a spot and had bass hit the "Gurgle Pop" on four cast in a row. We headed in for the day, both of us had a great time on the water.
    I guess I said all that to say this. The flyfishing experience was great for me today becuase of the differnent things I learned on this site. Roll cast, mending, strike indicators, fishing poppers in streams, how to tie my own "gurgle pops" and lots of other stuff. Thanks for listening to my rambling, sorry about the poor grammar/spelling and I can't wait to go again! I hope to be "practiced up" enough by end of July to catch a trout on the Au Sable river on our vacation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crappiecrazy; 06-29-2009 at 05:26 AM.