I am hoping that I can find some answers to questions regarding Spey Rods and in particular rods that are best suited to a new spey caster. I have watched this board for some time and know that there is a bunch of knowledgable and helpful "experts" who "over winter" here so.....

I live near the Bow River in Southern Alberta and it seems to me that this fairly large river with fairly large fish would be idealy suited to Spey Fishing, yet I see few, if any, Spey Casters. Am I missing something?

I know next to nothing about Spey Casting or rod/reel/line selection. I often see the term "Traditional" Spey casting, implying that there is another kind. If so, is the equipment different? Is one method better than the other?

Keeping in mind that I am new to Spey Rodding, how would I go about selecting a rod, reel (are they different from one handed reels?)and line? Is Spey casting a dificult dicipline to learn?

My wife told me to add this, I am retired and on fixed income so cost is an important consideration. Along that line is used equipment something that one should consider?

I probably have missed some very important questions regarding of this branch of the sport but trust that you will "fill in the blanks" if you think it important. Please email me with answers if you feel that a more appropriate way to respond.

Thanks in advance.

Pisca