+ Reply to Thread

Thread: off topic - flag pole

Default off topic - flag pole

My wife and I want to put up a flag pole. I found a cheap one at Sam's club but it says that the largest flag that it will fly is a 3X5' flag.

By the time I dig the hole - big hole in the ground = lots of sweat, mix concrete and pour it, I don't want to put all of that effort into a cheap pole that will only last a few years. I also don't want to mortgage the house on a flag pole. Can someone recomend a nice 20 to 30' flag pole and what will I have to spend to get one?

Sorry so off topic, but thought that my friends here could help me spend my money. Bluntly already dug a hole, about 2' diameter by 2 1/2' deep - measured not guestimate. Have the cement and rock and just need the pole at this point. A shove in the right direction will be appreciated.

There's a couple places that offer free shipping and have USA made poles cheaper than the imports.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...3As2g4g%3As1g1
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Steve, now that looks cool But it is beyond my time frame/requirement for this project. Something to think about for the weekend house though. Looks fantastic.

Ron, thanks for the links.

Rick

Norm has an episode where he builds a flagpole. If you are at all handy this would be a relatively easy project. You can build it to your specifications(wood type, finish, heighth, etc.), and it is on a tabernacle so the whole pole can come down. I think it would look great in Wisconsin. You can find more about it here.

How tall are you looking for and how big of a flag. With that basic info, a mechanical engineer could calculate the loading for standard steel pipe (2 or 3 ") or galvanized pipe. A cap of some sort and a pulley system and you've got a flag pole. I think you can get the forces generated by a flag at various windspeeds off the web for the calculations. Just a thought.

TxEngr (I'm a sparky, not mechanical)

Don't forget to check the local zoning codes for height requirements. Some municipalities have restrictions as to the height & location of a flag pole.

+ Reply to Thread