+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "I wish again to fish again in Michigan"

Default "I wish again to fish again in Michigan"

With a little luck, I will have 10 days to fish in Michigan next fall, end of September, first of October. I have never been in this area before, at least not to fish, so I could use some info. I will be in the UP, near the town of Gwinn, south of Marquette. I have looked at maps and see lots of water, most lakes and ponds, which is fine, but I also like my stream fishing. If someone would be so kind as to pass along some info, or recommend an information resource, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks ahead.

Doublehauler;
    Why not join us at the AuSable River Fish-In in August? JC & LF will be there along with many, many others from this board.
    Check it out over on the left in FISH-INS.

...you would probably need to supply more info...

are driving? and from what direction? depending on your route you could do a lot of fishing on your way up through Michigan...if thats how your coming...

What kind of fishing do you want to do...trout, salmon, steelhead ect?

if its trout and you get past Sept some streams may be closed for the year...something to keep in mind.

if you plan on spending most of your time in the UP, shoot me an email and i'll give you a link to a site that has UP forum, you would probably do well to post the same question there...
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

...probably should have looked before i posted but i see your located in Montana and unless your taking your time i'll assume your not driving up through Michigan.

Just a thought...on your way out fish Wisconsin for a day or two, head north and fish your way through the UP to Marquette...
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

DH- lots of bluegill lakes in gwinn, and good brookie water too I hear.

john

Doublehauler, most UP streams are small brookie creeks that close Sept. 30. I'm guiding in Florida for the winter, so I don't have my Michigan regs book to see which salmon/steelhead streams out of Lake Superior or Lake Michigan have extended seasons.

You might want to check the Michigan DNR website for closures. I've fished the Driggs near Seney with good results. The Two Hearted River, of course, is famous because of Hemingway but it's nearly all in private ownership, which makes access very difficult.

Check with the Gander Mountain outdoors store in Marquette. There MIGHT be someone in the fishing department who can give you a heads-up.

That's also a superb time to be afield with a fine English setter and a 20ga looking for grouse and woodcock.

E-me as you get closer to that time and I'll try to provide as much help as I can.

Tight Loops,
    Capt. Tony

+ Reply to Thread