+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a very big trout

Hybrid View

Default a very big trout

I saw him when he took something falling out of the ovenhanging trees but how do I get a fly to him? He's right under the tangle of branches in the very back, tight to the bank.http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...une2520094.jpg
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 06-27-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: couldn't get photo up
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

toss a hopper at his a$$ !!!

Blog Entries

I shows in the picture that those branches continue right down under the surface. The instant you get him on he will take you into that tangle. Then he will break you off and laugh at you!
    Thats how he got to be so big.

You will have to get him to come out into the open with something large tasty looking and easy to catch like a mouse. Probably in the late evening or the very early dawn or maybe even at night. That is not going to be an easy fish.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Default Dang...

Wow thats quite a ruff spot, but you can survise with the right technique. This is truly where expieriance, time and perservieriance takes place!! Whatever you do youv got to act fast and try to get him away from that bank. It will be pretty hard cuz trout are lazy feeders. Maybe even a streamer would work, just somthing for him to chase away from the bank. This is where fishing gets technically adicting!!! Good luck
    UNITY

Toss a hopper or cricket in front of the branch, once it lands where you want it, start to make small twitches and work the fly just to the edge of the branch. I would use a heavier tippet may 3x or 4x that way if you hook up you can try to horse him out of the brush.

I tried to tempt him out tonight. After just standing there for a while to make up for having to wade into position to cast I made a couple of casts short of the cover hoping for a miracle. Then I tried to sidearm one in tight and got hung up. maybe nest time!
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Rainbowchaser,

After everything else fails, there's always a Dupont lure.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Looks like a job for an M80 fly to me
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Cold Guest

Just my $0.02...

This is a big, smart fish, who's arranged things such that most of the advantages are in his favor. The more you can do to level the playing field, the better.

Looks like high water. I'd wait till the water level drops, not only to give him less room to run, but also to make the largest percentage of water stick-free. Usually, however, "low" comes with "clear", which will either necessitate night fishing, or fishing soon after a brief but heavy rainfall (common here in the summer). Ideally, since you've got him located, a little of both. Fishing late evening/early morning, during, or just after a rain.

For tactics, the surroundings look like they'll pretty much dictate your approach, position, and presentation, so just make the best of what you're given. Dont rule out swinging and stripping. If you can, try a big black woolly bugger, drifted straight down to him, then swung out from under the branches. It just might pull him right out from his cover.

As far as flies...I'd say unless he's keying on some sort of hatch (tricos, etc.), you've gotta show him something worth his while. Big buggers, the aforementioned hoppers and mice, possibly a large stimulator, marabou leeches, muddlers, and any type of streamer would all be viable options. If its on top, dont be afraid of a rather hard, splashy presentation. Hoppers werent designed to land gracefully on water. Also, dont rule out drifting that muddler as a drowned hopper. Lots of options.

One nice thing is that a trout that size probably isnt into migrating, so you'll likely have a few tries at him!

If (what am I saying...WHEN) you get him on the line, if he heads upstream, try to keep him there. If he dives downstream, follow him! He's gonna take line, and you need to give it to him. After 2-3 good runs, if you've managed to keep him out of the salad, the odds start to shift in your favor. You wont be pulling a fish that size directly upstream against his will, which is why you should try to keep him above you. Remember: if he's below you, he's only fighting your tippet, and the current helps him. If he's above you, he's fighting you AND the current.

When he's upstream, keep him in the current and keep some sideways pressure on him, as if you're trying to turn him back toward you. He'll probably feel this and fight against it to right himself.

When he's downstream (but not running...if so, follow him), try to keep him in calmer water, nearer the surface (to reduce line drag). Keep the sideways pressure up too...he just might shoot back upstream for you.

Needless to say, get him "on the reel" as soon as you possibly can. You spent all that money on that fancy space age drag for just such a situation, so now's the time to use it!

If he dives into the salad, say a quick prayer to your favored deity. Keep your tip low, possibly even in the water (a horizontal line will only catch twigs in one direction, an angled line will catch them horizontally and vertically), and just try to maintain constant pressure on him, pulling out into clear water. Even if he wraps you around something, keep the pressure up. I've pulled brookies (nothing of any "lunker" size, tho) out of brush piles, by just that constant pressure, as it will always pull them back the way they came. Just be patient. If it doesnt work out, you wont land him anyway, but if it does, you'll be glad you waited. My dad fished with a guy who hooked a large trout that dove into the tangle of a submerged hemlock. The man just reeled tight and literally sat the rod down and fished with another, remarking "Oh, he'll be out eventually". Sure enough, ten minutes later, he says "Oh, oh, here we go!" and picks up the rod and retrieves his fish!

Finally, dont be too impatient to land him. The netting is the trickiest part of the operation. If you can, bring a friend with a net (who you trust...nothing worse than a friend breaking you off!). If not, you'll have to get him good and tired, and expect a few spirited runs when he sees you move, no matter how tired he is. When he does this, just point the rod at him and wait him out. Early on in the fight, when he's running, you might be able to get lucky and scoop him up if he decides to hold at your feet for a second. I wouldnt recommend it, as its very risky, but it just might work.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Cold; 06-29-2009 at 11:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread