Nice early summer day in SE Idaho yesterday. Temps in the high 70s, mostly clear skies, only a light breeze on and off. Finding water is another matter. With the high run off on most streams and rivers, and the extraordinary flows on the South Fork, Henry's Fork is about the only game in town. Not my favorite place to fish, but under the circumstances .....

Vernon is a pretty stretch.

The thing is, there must have been twenty or more vehicles at the access parking lot. Kind of sends shudders down my spine just remembering it. Instead of checking the river right at the access, I headed upstream - first third of a mile on pavement ( yuck ), next third of a mile on gravel ( better ), and the last third of a mile on a small trail that follows the edge a meadow ( okay ).

Between the access and where I finally got on the water, about a quarter mile above the stretch shown in the photo, there were about ten wade fishermen. Pretty well spread out, for the most part. When I started wet wading, there were no other wade fisherman in sight, but there was a parade of driftboats headed my way. Not bunched up, but a long parade, for sure.

The water temp was ideal for wet wading. The driftboats all gave way to me, which was very positive. There were some caddis around and, of all things, still a fair number of salmonflies. And no fish rising anywhere. But after an hour of casting practice with a variety of fly patterns, a few dinks started rising regularly. Dinks are better than nothing. Caught several before deciding to head back downstream.

One place I had in mind to fish, the place I caught my first fish on a fly rod six years ago, was occupied. Watched the fellow fish for a while and then headed on downstream. A couple hundred yards brought me to another fellow. Watched him for a while. He was pretty well anchored to one spot, so I just moved downstream a way and started my casting practice again. Still lots of bugs, and still no fish rising.

After practicing for a while, I decided to just walk the bank back upstream to see if anything was going on. About half way between the two guys I had been watching, who both were still pretty well anchored in their spots, I did see a couple fish coming up occasionally. Didn't really like that situation, but it didn't feel like I was crowding either of the other guys by splitting the distance between them.

Not a lot going on, but there was one good size fish rising fairly regularly, just about beyond my effective casting range. Waded out as far as I was comfortable with the current depth and speed, stripped out a lot of line, and had at it. Must have put the deer hair version of Harrop's Henry's Fork Caddis around and over that fish thirty times. Probably mostly around, not over. Persistence pays .....

This chunky brown was pushing 19". Did I saw fat ?? That guy has been eating well.

After a while, I got a shot at another fish that was rising regularly, not so far out as the first one. Got him, too. Not quite as big and fat as the first one, but strong and fiesty as all get out. Did cast to a few more rising fish with no success.

Lot of time on the water for a few dinks and a couple nice fishies. But it was good to be out. I guess if there is only one game in town, this is not the worst one to have.

Talked to the fellow who had been anchored below me on the way back to the parking lot. Local fellow who fishes that stretch quite a bit. Got some tips in case I decide to go back. Gee ..... today being Friday, there will probably be more folks than were wade fishing early evening yesterday.

Besides the few salmonflies on the upper stretch, there were lots of caddis in the area. About 7:00 p.m., maybe a little earlier, a gray drake hatch came off. HUGE numbers of HUGE mayflies. The biggest hatch of drakes I have seen. There were more fish up as we walked back to the parking lot. It was tempting, but decided to just head on home and have some dinner.

John