+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frogs Fanny Substitute?

Hybrid View

Default Frogs Fanny Substitute?

I was reading the thread about a Gink subsitute and how it is the same as Aboline which is a cosmetic.

It reminded that a guide a few years ago told me he used some kind of ammo reloading substance because it was the same as Frogs Fanny but much less expensive. He told me he bought it by the pound.

I can't remember what he told me it was. Does anyone know?

Thank you.

It's called Fletch Dry. It's sold at any archery shop. They use it to dry wet feathers(fletch) on their arrows. You get a big bottle for $5. You can fill the frog's fanny bottle a zillion times with it.
    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Produc...6&p=250&i=5086

3. Default

I'd be curious to hear as well, I've got a serious FF habit.

Arrow fletching powder is supposed to work, and something that boat builders put into epoxy is supposed to work....I bought some back when I first learned of it a few years go but off the top of my head can't recall the substance....anhydrous silicate maybe? I probably have that wrong. At any rate, I've tried several of these over the years and didn't find them as effective as FF. I'm sure there's something out there to do the job, however, and I'd love to hear about it.

Another good substitute is Hydrophobic fumed silica. I've been using it for a couple of years and I like it.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gqualls View Post
    Another good substitute is Hydrophobic fumed silica. I've been using it for a couple of years and I like it.
    THAT'S the stuff I was trying to recall. Didn't seem to work as well for me, needed to reapply ALOT. Perhaps I should revisit this...

Frogs Fanny is a great product, comes in a handy small bottle with a brush applicator.

For the same price you can get a quart sized container of 'Fletch Dry' at Cabela's or any shop that sell archery supplies. Used to keep feather fletchings dry and pretty.

Or you can get it even cheaper in gallon size containers as 'hydrophobic fumed silica' used in the boat building industry as an epoxy filler.

Or extra cheap in 50 gallon drums, used in the material transport industry. It prevents dry powdery stuff like paint pigements from clumping so it can flow through pipes.

I decided the gallon size would set me up for life. Here is a link to a supplier... make sure you are getting 'hydrophibic' stuff, the other forms of fumed silica don't float!

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/2_fillers.html

Also works to recharge the Shimazi Dry Shake type floatants, the crystals are a desicant that absorb water, the powdery stuff is hydrophibic fumed silica. Just squirt a little into an old bottle of crystals and it works like new.

I understand the cost of packaging of this extremely fine powder is what makes FF so expensive

+ Reply to Thread