Hello,
A friend of mine invited our family (wife/13yr son) to use his farm/hunting camp/home for a week near Curran/Barton City Michigan. Time frame be end of July. Sorry to say that this will not be a "fishin vacation" but a "family vacation" if you know what I mean. But I hope to spend some time fishin with the family and slip off before they get out of the bed for a couple of hours. I am really exicted about the trip, I have read many of the FAOL posts about Ausable River and other places. My friend is an avid outdoorsman (he taught me how to fly cast at a 4H Camp somewhere near the Little Pine River several years ago) and I am sure he will point me in the right direction for some places to fish but will not be around to show me how to fish. If there was a "Trout Fishing for Dummies" book available, I would need to read it. Can I get some ideas on how to catch a few trout keeping in mind that I have never trout fished before. Let me rephrase that "never caught a trout besides the one they dump out of a truck and you start fishin.". I said all that to say this:

I would appreciatie any info on BASIC ways to catch a few trout in this area. Not places, I am sure my friend will tell me some spots to try. No, I can't afford a $400 a day guide. Any info on day trips for my family (I think they would like to go to Alpena and snorkel. Canoe trip down the Ausable. My son would like to see some sand dunes. Wildlife viewing is something my family would enjoy. Oh gosh, we love to eat at good restraunts.

Thanks,
Tom