+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lake Trout and Grayling...

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Lake Trout and Grayling...

Just returned from our annual lake trout and grayling trip... Fished for lake trout at the outlet of a fair-sized lake with a red salmon run. Right now the smolts are making mad dashes for the ocean and being pinched by the rivers taking them there. Terns watch from above and lakers hide behind every rock. Loons, grebes and otters were seen doing their share of damage as well.

Using large streamers with a polar bear hair wing, a bit of flash, including dark blue over a wrapped pearlescent braid body worked extremely well. So well there was little fly swapping done as the lakers made themselves obvious and seldom turned down a reasonable presentation.

I will post a photo when I get them downloaded... Lake trout ran 18" or so on the low end and about 8 pounds for the heavier fish. Grayling ran to nearly 20" and we caught them in huge quantities in the 12-16" range, though tapes and counters were conspicuous in their absence...
    art

Arrow ...:)

Looking forward to the pics!
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Quote Originally Posted by Grubb View Post
    Looking forward to the pics!
    you're telling me! 20" Grayling?!?! WOW
    Leave No Trace

Blog Entries

Default A Few Pictures

Here is a representative grayling my 15-year-old son caught and photographed with an Olympus 850 SW.

Riley with another grayling which looks to be 17-18".

A friend with a lake trout on the small side. Color is a little washed due to darkness. The little Olympus does a pretty decent job considering the conditions.

Riley with a little bigger lake trout. Note the gorgeous char coloring, even though the lake trout pictures were taken at "night" pretty far North.

art

Hap, great report and pics. Keep 'em coming. My wish is for a Grayling someday, the bad hip seems to preclude my traveling to their local...

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Hap,

Nice report and great pics. Neat to see different spots and fish. Never caught a grayling or lake trout before. Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great time.

Beaver

+ Reply to Thread