+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Thread

Default Fly Tying Thread

I would like to buy a spool or several spools of 8/0 fly tying thread like that pictured on the left side of the picture below. I'd also buy a spool or two in 6/0 if available.

The trouble is, I do not know for sure what brand it is, or what color it is/was called. I think it is Danville's pre-waxed thread, but I'm not certain. I've had this spool for a number of years (it was probably a 200 yd spool) and it is nearly gone, and although I looked in several fly shops no one had any of this specific color.

For the color contrast, the spool in the middle is UNI-Thread in Rust Brown, and the spool on the right is Benecchi's, presumably in Orange.

If you have any of this for sale, you can email me at flyfisher_17557@yahoo.com, or PM me here. Likewise I'd appreciate knowing where I can buy this from a fly shop.

As always, thank you.

John

Normand Guest

danville doesnt make 8/0 thread so i dont think thats it

is it a gsp type thread?

heres the danville color chart for 6/0 flymaster

http://www.danvillechenille.com/flymstr.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    danville doesnt make 8/0 thread so i dont think thats it

is it a gsp type thread?

heres the danville color chart for 6/0 flymaster

http://www.danvillechenille.com/flymstr.htm
    Norm -

Thanks for your reply.

It is very close in size to the UNI 8/0, so that's why I said it was that size. It is not a gsp type thread. I'd already looked at the Danville color chart you referenced (thanks) and had concluded that this color was not one of those shown -- I'd call it an orange-ish yellow, but not a pure yellow or a pure orange.

John

Blog Entries

Smile Thread

John,

I think the key to the identity of the brand name of the thread is the blueish color of the spool the thread is wrapped upon. None of my threads have that color. I did a search on the internet and looked at hundreds of photos of threads; none have that color of spool.

It is possible that which ever company made that thread either no longer exists or switched up to a more modern spool and color assortment.

Good luck in finding the thread. If you do locate it, would you let us know what it was?

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Blog Entries

Got me stumped. I don't recall seeing a blue spool anywhere either.

The color is close to some orange kevlar thread I have and use on glo bugs, but the kevlar is a lot bigger than 8/0.

John,

I have some old Danville spools in that are colored grey, green and white. They have four spokes inside the spool, which seems unique to Danville. The green and grey ones are probably 30 years old. That spool looks like it may be an old Danville spool. Maybe call Danville and see if it is an older color that they discontinued. Good Luck.

Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    John,

I have some old Danville spools in that are colored grey, green and white. They have four spokes inside the spool, which seems unique to Danville. The green and grey ones are probably 30 years old. That spool looks like it may be an old Danville spool. Maybe call Danville and see if it is an older color that they discontinued. Good Luck.

Beaver
    My thread has 4 spokes inside the spool, and after reading your post, I see that I have many 4 spoked spools of thread. While most of mine are white colored spools, I see from a quick look that I also have a couple orange colored spools that contain 8/0 (I think) thread in Light Brown and Pale Yellow. I suspect that I bought many of those spools of thread about the same time that I got the Yellowsish-Orange colored thread that I"m looking for.

GAWD, I didn't think I'd had it for 30 years! Am I THAT old?

I love that color!! I think I'll follow your suggestion and contact Danville...but not until after I catch a couple of those 25" plus rainbows tomorrow that I'm going fishing for tomorrow morning. (Old people can still dream, can't they?)

John

John,
    I think we are talking old here, even vintage maybe LOL.
    These look to be copies of your pic. They are old. Notice the just about empty spool has the Danville Flymaster label. 200 yds 6/0 orange?
    Browsing around it looks like its readily available. I like the color by the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Blog Entries

I think I may have that thread but I'll look at it in the daylight tomorrow to make sure. On the one spool I found, so far. The bulk of my stock is on the old blue/gray spool. It's 6/0 thread but as old as it is there isn't much wax to it these days. I used a lot of what I called golden yellow to tie some woolies the browns in my area would eat up. Literally.
    I'll get back to ya.

Lightbulb Thread

Well Boys here is the answer; It is Danville Orange #7, but here is the Kicker-
    (Shades may vary with different dye lots) This was below the color chart on the web site.

Fishin" Jimmy

+ Reply to Thread