+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who Is The Best Online Fly Tying Materials Supplier?

One other thing of note.

There are very few retailers that carry really unique items. Most carry the standard stuff from the standard suppliers/vendors/manufacturers. So choosing an online supplier is mostly picking the best service, as most of them will have similar pricing within 2-3%. The quality is usually a vendor/manufacturer issue rather than a retailer issue.

So ... an interesting question is who are the online retailers that carry unique items?

Fly Tyers Dungeon for all kinds of dubbing.
    Support The Troops; Sign Up at AdoptaPlatoon.org

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I use Cabelas, Stone River Outfitters, Conrach, and J. Stoddard. Never had any trouble with any of them.

Smile

Halomidge,

For unique fly tying items, how about Fly Tying Specialties ?
    Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're probably right.
    --Author unknown

For the Full Dress Salmon Fly tiers and those that dabble in the Classic Wet flies, try www.feathersmc.com. John McLain is a great guy who has some seriously good stuff.

For the tiers who like flymphs and wets, with some dry flies throwon in for good measure try www.jimsflyco.com. Very nice materials from Cookshill Fly Tying in the UK and other great stuff from Jim Slattery.

Some unique materials can be had from www.mwflytying.com. Mike Hogue's site can be difficult to maneuver around, but the mkaterials and prices are really good.

I have purchased a lot of stuff from our sponsors and have never been disappointed.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

J Stockard has a great company for general fly tying equipment and materials. Conranch has great hackle. I buy some stuff from Bear's Den like SF Flash Blend. I hear great things about Fly Tyers Dungeon for Congo Hair and Water Silk. It just depends on what you want. You aren't going to get a store that has everything you want if you tye lots of varieties of flies. I have ordered from several companies, and have had good look from most all of them. I do not like to buy bucktail sight unseen. If I do I like to buy from The Saltwater Edge.

I deal mostly with Hook and Hackle for online and W. S. Hunter & Co. in Concord, NH when I want to go into a real store. I noticed several people mentioned the "old" Hunter's in New Boston, NH which was bought out and relocated by Stone River. For Westerners, I believe that George Kessel who used to work at Hunters now has a shop in Missoula Montana. If you liked Hunter's you will probably like his new shop.
    Walt

Default Very Many Thanks To All

I greatly appreciate the many and varied responses, especially those who shared sites and why they prefer them. I intend on keeping this thread as a reference for my future fly tying needs (and daydream-in-the-cubicle-while-the-boss-is-out sessions).

Warmest regards.

Madison River Fishing Company is another shop that I love. Their response time is fast and customer service second to none. You can speak with someone directly and not get a voicemail. Great Folks.

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverMont...g/Default.aspx

Good luck in your search. I'm fortunate to have a full service fly shop where I live and they take the best care of me. Fair prices and no shipping costs. If they don't have it they will find it. Jimmy's All Season Anglers in Idaho Falls, Idaho: http://jimmysflyshop.com/

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Kelly,

Next time your in Jimmy's, say hello to my money for me. VEE and I made several trips to Jimmy's while attending the Fly Tying Expo. What a great shop! When we hit a fly shop we usually have to look really hard to find stuff to buy. Not at Jimmy's. He had some really cool stuff we hadn't seen before.

You can also let them know I'll be sending them a bill for advertising the shop by wearing my Jimmy's T-Shirts.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread