We just returned from 11 great days in northern Michigan. My wife and I rented a house on Spider Lake, about 12 miles southeast of Traverse City.

Prior to the trip, I learned of carp opportunities on the flats off Old Mission Point. Fellow FAOLer Tim Angeli gave me some excellent advice. I also received some tips from Kirk of The Northern Angler (www.thenorthernangler.com) that helped immensely.

First day out, carp were all over the flat. Most were in groups and doing the spawning thing. I knew from talking with Tim and Kirk that those fish probably would be more interested in spawning than eating. So, I concentrated on finding single, slowly cruising fish. I hook a carp on my third cast.

My gear was a 6-weight TFO Finesse Rod, floating line, 8-pound leader and a Befus Carp Fly. The fly worked the entire trip.

I ended the first day with nine carp to 25 pounds. What an introduction!

I headed out the next day and did even better -- although it started out slower. There weren't as many fish on the flat at first. However, the action picked up later in the morning.

I found that targetting single cruisers was the key. Cast in front, let the fly sink and twitch it as the carp neared. If the fish turned to follow, I'd strip the fly in short strips and then let it fall to the bottom when I knew the fish was hot. The carp would simple suck it off the bottom while it was sitting.

At about midday, I found good numbers of fish out deeper. Some were on the surface and some on the bottom. I caught several large carp. The best technique was to get a head-on shot and let the fly fall to the bottom.

I hooked a monster carp after landing 10 fish. It took a while, but I finally got control. I walked the fish over to another fellow, who was visiting from Scotland. He took my photo. I was pumped! We estimated the fish at 30-35 pounds. Wow!

Carp are strong. They remind me a lot of redfish in Florida. However, I hooked several that took me into the backing. In fact, one fish took me into the backing three times!

Long runs were typical.

Average fish was at least 15 pounds.

I ended the second day with 15 fish.

After a day off to visit friends in Boyne City, I returned to the flat. This time there were no fish in the shallows. A front had moved through, so I figured they'd show up when the air warmed. I did find a number of fish out deeper, but none were interested in my offerings.

I took the opportunity to cast for smallmouth around the numerous boulders and rocks. It took me a while before I finally hooked up. M first fish was a 12-inch memorable (my first ever on fly) smallie. I eventually landed 11 more to 20 inches. I was impressed.

Next day was cold and dreary. Carp were absent, so I again went for smallies. I only caught two, but both were 20 inches or better.

All this Florida boy can say is I'm very impressed with fishing around Traverse City. I advise all of you to put the area on your list of spots you'd like to try. You won't regret it.

The flats

Spawning carp

Single cruiser

First carp