+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New FFer in the Mosquito Lagoon

Hybrid View

Default New FFer in the Mosquito Lagoon

Just got my first outfit (9wt) and headed for the lagoon tomorrow morning for a little Pre-Father's Day festivities fishing. I'll be in the Carbide Flats area for those that know the Lagoon.

I have been grass casting today and hope I can get close enough to the reds tomorrow to put a fly in front of them but if not I can't imagine a better place to practice casting

I picked up a selection of Deceivers and poppers to play with based on the local shop's suggestion. I'll let you know how it goes...
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

Craig,
    Having started fly fishing AFTER the age of 50, I can attest to the fact that even on "fishless" days you will be pumped by the occasional great cast or by just even being out there fly fishing. It is a magical event to me EVERY time out.
    Have fun, keep us posted, & I hope you DO catch fish tomorrow.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default First Sea Trout on Fly!

I was able to bring in a fish this morning! My first day out with the fly rod so I was just hoping to make some casts that didn't blow up completely, fish was an afterthought

Low and behold I was able to place a shrimp fly right into a bubbling mass of baitfish that wandered within my limited range and got a reaction strike from a small spotted trout! It was about my 10th cast of the day and had me giddy all morning. Unfortunately since I was out alone I don't have a pic.

I am fairly new to fishing in general so this is only the second fish I have ever caught on anything artificial. I kinda jumped right over the spinning with artificials stage of my fishing career. I started late so I have to make up for lost time

I can definitely see that I need to get a double haul working to hit the bait pods on the flats - I could get out to 30 feet or so in the wind but many targets were 50 + feet out and I spooked them wading any closer. I'd like to move onto some redfish but they are much spookier and until I can get a longer cast they are probably going to stay just out of reach. I did see a lot of ladyfish that might be fun to play with - any thoughts on a fly for them? I know many consider them "junk" fish but they jump so I find them fun on light gear.

So, is there a good article somewhere on care for your flies after they have been in the salt? I just gave a good rinse in fresh water and hung them to dry on a wire shelf.

Anyway, thanks for letting the newbie ramble on about his little success.
    Last edited by craigd; 06-21-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

Welcome Craig.

I have never fished the salt, so I can't be of to much help to you there. With any luck, I will get my first chance to fish in FL late summer this year.

I do want to make sure you are aware of the numerous archived saltwater articles here on FAOL. There are many and they are a great read. It will take you a while to get through them all. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Take a look here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...er/archive.php
    Tim

Default Local Terminology

Craig,

Just so folks don't think you are new to the game, in Florida and along the Gulf:

Spotted Sea Trout are "SPECKS" (for speckled trout)
    Red Drum are "REDS"
    Black drum are "DRUM"
    Blue runners are "HARD TAIL"...sometimes
    King Mackerel are "KINGFISH"
    Cobia are "LEMON FISH" or "CRABEATERS" except for Texas and Louisiana where they are "LING"
    Dolphin are "DOLPHIN" not mahi
    Sheepshead are "PORGIES"
    Striped bass are "STRIPERS".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    Craig,

Just so folks don't think you are new to the game, in Florida and along the Gulf:

Spotted Sea Trout are "SPECKS" (for speckled trout)
    Red Drum are "REDS"
    Black drum are "DRUM"
    Blue runners are "HARD TAIL"...sometimes
    King Mackerel are "KINGFISH"
    Cobia are "LEMON FISH" or "CRABEATERS" except for Texas and Louisiana where they are "LING"
    Dolphin are "DOLPHIN" not mahi
    Sheepshead are "PORGIES"
    Striped bass are "STRIPERS".
    Hmmm, I live in Florida and have for most of my life.

Here's what we call 'em:

spotted seatrout = trout
    blue runners = blue runners
    cobia = cobia
    sheepshead = sheepshead
    porgy are porgy, a separate species.
    redfish = reds
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    Craig,

Well, if they thought that they'd be correct!
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

Quote Originally Posted by tlerm View Post
    I have definitely been working my way through the huge collection of info in the features section. What a treasure trove for a new guy!

-Craig
    Craig
    Deltona, FL

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

On the way home from saltwater fishing or as we Called it here in BC the Chuck. ( as in saltchuck ). I would stop at the little freshwater stream and dip the reel in the fresh water and swoosh it around a bit to get rid of the salt. Never had any corrosion if I did that. I would rinse all the lures/flies in fresh water , dry the reel and tackle on the hot air vent then spray wd40 on them to prevent any metal from rusting.

( hot air vent because the temp never got above 75f In the Queen Charlottes. )

PS the size of the fish ( ladyfish ) doesn't matter its the catching of the fish that matters. I can be just as happy catching small gills or crappie as I am when I'm catching Salmon. In my opinion they are all sport fish if you are enjoying the catching of them.

Some folks don't consider carp a game fish, but pound for pound in fighting ability and stamina they can put a trout to shame. Caught In cold clear water they are wonderful eating. Plus they are harder to entice to a fly/lure than most game fish.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Don't forget to rinse out your reel and hose off your rod. And clean your line!

Jim

+ Reply to Thread