Thread: New FFer in the Mosquito Lagoon

Threaded View

Default First Sea Trout on Fly!

I was able to bring in a fish this morning! My first day out with the fly rod so I was just hoping to make some casts that didn't blow up completely, fish was an afterthought

Low and behold I was able to place a shrimp fly right into a bubbling mass of baitfish that wandered within my limited range and got a reaction strike from a small spotted trout! It was about my 10th cast of the day and had me giddy all morning. Unfortunately since I was out alone I don't have a pic.

I am fairly new to fishing in general so this is only the second fish I have ever caught on anything artificial. I kinda jumped right over the spinning with artificials stage of my fishing career. I started late so I have to make up for lost time

I can definitely see that I need to get a double haul working to hit the bait pods on the flats - I could get out to 30 feet or so in the wind but many targets were 50 + feet out and I spooked them wading any closer. I'd like to move onto some redfish but they are much spookier and until I can get a longer cast they are probably going to stay just out of reach. I did see a lot of ladyfish that might be fun to play with - any thoughts on a fly for them? I know many consider them "junk" fish but they jump so I find them fun on light gear.

So, is there a good article somewhere on care for your flies after they have been in the salt? I just gave a good rinse in fresh water and hung them to dry on a wire shelf.

Anyway, thanks for letting the newbie ramble on about his little success.
    Last edited by craigd; 06-21-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    Craig
    Deltona, FL