+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: customizing pontoon

Hybrid View

1. Default customizing pontoon

Hello all,I've just purchased my first pontoon boat .I've thought about buying one for a couple of years now and finally got around to doing it.Put in the water yesterday and a blast.I`d like to hear anyones view on how to customize it.I was thinking of adding a rod holder of some type and another storage pouch or any other thing that will make it more functionable.Any ideas on how to best do this appreciated.

Bassbugger, Welcome to FAOL from So Cal. What kind of 'toon did you get? I have a Creek Co. ODC 9 foot. It's a blast. Thing is, instead of adding more to mine I've stripped it. Unless I'm crossing a lake for an overnighter I leave the cargo rack off. Don't need it for day trips. I made a bag that hangs off the back off the seat for lunch, water and a pancho. I have a rod holder and a few extra straps and hooks for securing stuff I don't want at the bottom of the pond.
    Creek Co. has an every Friday sale online at Creek Company dot com. They have some pretty good deals. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

Smile Scotty Rod Holder

Bassbugger,

A rod holder is an absolute necessity, in fact, I use two on mine. The right side is for the rod I am fishing with (if I need to set it down for a few minutes to do some rowing, etc) and the left side is for my second rod. I aim that one off to the side so the rod is out of the way of my casting.

The best bet for rod holders is the Scotty. They make one for fly rods and get the one that straps to pontoons. It is fully adjustable, just make sure it is turned so the handle of your reel is pointed up. You will see what I mean.

The Scotty is a great rod holder. I use the same type for salmon fishing and when a salmon grabs the fly and takes off, there is no problem with the Scotty hanging onto the rod. There is a strap that you can use to secure the rod/reel in so there is no way it will fall off.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Normand Guest

heres one of the better rod holders and only $10

http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdis...&Cat=3&Cat1=10

5. Default customizing pontoon

Thanks for the great replies,the pontoon I bought is the Arrow Backpacker.Its an entry level but will do for now.One of the problems I'm having is knowing how much air to put in the bladders without underfilling or overfilling the bladders.The manufacturer recommends 2.5psi which really doesn't mean too much to me.Is there a guideline that one should use?

Quote Originally Posted by bassbugger View Post
    .One of the problems I'm having is knowing how much air to put in the bladders without underfilling or overfilling the bladders.The manufacturer recommends 2.5psi which really doesn't mean too much to me.Is there a guideline that one should use?

Cheap solution:
    http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/SLRPG...=19-22402000-2

works on every inflatable I own or have tried with Hawkey roberts valves, leafield valves, knock-off spring loaded valves & boston valves.

BP
    http://cff1611.proboards.com
    Sow a thought....reap an act;
    Sow an act....reap a habit;
    Sow a habit...reap a character;
    Sow a character....reap a destiny!!!!!

As far as knowing how much air...You don't need a gauge. To be honest I don't trust them.
    You have Vinyl bladders. They are going to be effected by temp and altitude.
    If you travel to higher country be sure NOT to fill the toon up much.
    At the lake...put the boat in the water while you get ready, then SQUEEZE the tip of the toon. If it feels firm, good to go. BUT, if you fill it firm, then put it in cold water....it's going to compress the air..feel less full.

You do NOT want your boat to look like this:

If you fly fish, you want rod holders MADE for fly rods and you want them slightly tilted back and staggerd so they don't get tangled.

I pack at least three rods on my pontoon (1-floating / 1-slow sink / 1-fast sink)
    I prefer the SCOTTY rod holders but the ones Normand posted for $10. are sweet.

And I love RAM MOUNTS for my sonar:

What FG said...learn to go by feel...conditions change and you should be able to check on the spot....

Joni, ever get the Nav II sold?

Sold one the other is pending delivery.

Blog Entries

Well, let's see. I spray painted the shiny oars and frame to match the camouflage of the pontoons themselves, and broke one of the side bag straps, and tied a rope across the back between the pontoons so I can drag it across the snow or grass...

Customize to your heart's desire. I wish mine had a nice cooler mounted on it, suitable for a couple sodas...

+ Reply to Thread