+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what one...

Default what one...

... tying technique would you say is essential to master?
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

For me my arch nemisis and enemy is spinning deer hair!!!!!!!! I keep trying but I really need to find a class or someone in my area to help me.LOL

Fatman

Proportions; not just amount of material, but length of body parts (tail, abdomen, wing, thorax, etc).

Regards,
    Scott

Finishing the fly with a good knot. If your finishing knot(s) come undone so does all of your work.

Tim

Normand Guest

thread control, dubbing control, proportions, knowing how to avoid crowding the head area

Yup, what these guys said. Common problems are way too much dubbing, too many thread wraps and poor thread control, proportions and crowded heads.

Another big one for folks starting out, if they're selecting their own materials without benefit of a mentor/instructor is what to use for different purposes (wet vs dry fly hackle, bucktail vs deer body hair etc), appropriate substitutions (cdc, comparahair, hare's foot) and how to tell good stuff from crap.

There is no one technique that you need to master.... to be honest in my experience you will need to master them as you feel you have the last one mastered. I know looking back on my tying I could never get a nice tapered body, then I couldn't get the propper proportions, then I couldn't stop crowding the eye. Over time as your tying eveolves so to will the things that you want and or need to master.

On a side note spinning deer hair was one of my worst ones I would try it and then abandon it for a while and come back, then abandon it again, finally about 3 years ago I got a good handle on it and now I spin hair like it's going out of style but by no means have I mastered it although I do tie some very nice deer hair flies from time to time.

Steve

Great advice from the previous guys. As someone who has only been tying a couple of years, I need to devote more time to tying to develop all of the skills that I need.

Someone touched on this but I found a local mentor who has been tying a long time and is very skilled who is also willing to share his knowledge with this 50 year old kid. Finding a mentor is a cool thing indeed.

Figuring out a plan for your tying, not just tying a new pattern because it looks cool, but how does this next new pattern fit into your overall arsenal of flies for your personal combat with the fish.

As a beginner a good pinch wrap will do a lot for you, if you don't master some of the real basics your fly won't work out very well.

Their are some good articles on this web site from a man named Al Campbell,

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

...Finding time to tie more...Practice is where its at. Swaps are the shizzle for this
    ...................ModocDan

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    ... tying technique would you say is essential to master?
    There are many techniques you should master...

But for my money, you can't consider yourself a tyer if you can't dub.

+ Reply to Thread