+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leader to tippet question

Default leader to tippet question

Has anyone ever tried tying a loop at the end of your tapered mono leader, and connecting your tippet with a loop to loop connection? I like how easy it is to change tippets on my furled leaders, but i don't always like fishing them.

Normand Guest

i use a double surgeons knot for tippet to leader connection but loop to loop is a good one also

tying loops in 6x tippets and leaders is just too fine a material and not for my eyes

i dont like furled leaders so i cant comment on those

Terry,

That's the only connection I've used for the past 12 years since I was shown the Perfection Loop. Never had a failure at the connection.

Plus, I was shown how to tie on the fly with a Perfection Loop and that's been a constant also. The only time that fails is a Pickerel on 5X!!!!

Jim

I also use a double surgeons knot for tippet to leader connection as it is easy to tie and has a good knot strength. While I have used loop to loop connections for leader to tippit, I find that it tends to snag too much crud in the water at least in warm water fishing which I do quite a bit of. Just one man's observation/opinion.

Jim Smith

Orvis has been offering tapered leaders with loops at both ends for years. The leaders include Bimini looped tippet sections as well.

No, how well do they work?

I used to use the LTL connection from leader to tippet however this year I dropped using it for a number of reasons. I tried the double surgeon's knot too but have found tying my tippet in using my hemostat to be quick and easy and I've had no problems with the knot.

http://flyfisherman.com/videos/hemos...ts/index1.html

One comment on the video though - it's wrong! If you listen to the guy he says to "tease the long tippet end thru the knot" which implies he grabs the tag end of the leader and the long tippet section with the hemostat. however in the video he grabs both tag ends. this results in a knot that sticks out at a 90degree angle to the line.

there's also a clinch-knot version using hemostats but I haven't tried that.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

I have the rings on some of my furled leaders. I will say they are very convenient. I also have furled leaders with mono loops. The advantage of the ring is it's easier to remove/replace tippet since the tippet doesn't "bite" into the ring like it does with mono loop. Also, when you cut the tippet off you don't need to worry about cutting the ring like you would with the mono loop.

The rings are so small they actually float in the surface tension without being treated. I didn't think I would like them at first but I've grown to like them for many applications.

Default Not yet

I have not tried the rings myself, but I have two friends that use them and like them very much. One of my friends even fashions droppers using the rings between leader sections and running the dropper off the rings.

If you do get some, put them on a safety pin to carry. Again, my friend says it's much easier that way. They are really small.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread