+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glacier National Park

Default Glacier National Park

My family is planning a vacation to Glacier National Park. Any recommendations for where to fish, local guides and shops?

Thanks,

Ernie

Find a copy of "Fishing Glacier National Park" by Russ Schneider. That's has pretty detailed info about the park. There's also the Middle Fork of the Flathead, which runs along the park border. That's a popular float. Can't help as far as guides or shops go.

Derssc, First let me say welcome to FAOL from So Cal. You've found a good FF site in this one. I was in GNP last summer but did not fish, just hiked. If you are going in from the west just about any of the towns along the park border have guides and fly shops for info. Kalispell, Columbia Falls or Hungry Horse comes to mind. The flathead, if its not running too high from meltoff should have some good fishing. I'd check with the locals where you're gonna stay before you go. Good luck. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I've never been there but my brother has caught trout and grayling in the lakes on small nymphs- copper johns brassies, midges. He had a float tube but not sure if he used it.

Default Greetings

Ernie -

Greetings and welcome from SE Idaho, although I am sitting here in Missoula MT right now.

If you want a real remote setting for your fishing, take a look at Kintla Creek in the far northwest corner of the park. Had a couple days of good cutthroat action there about three years ago. If you have a canoe or kayak, you can also fish Kintla Lake, which has some good sized lake trout in it.

Kintla Lake ( and creek ) is about 50-60 miles north and west of West Glacier. The last twenty miles or so ( my best recollection of the distance ) are pretty rough going. There is a small campground at the lake's outlet to Kintla Creek. You end up about ten miles or less from the Canadian Border.

The ride in follows the North Fork of the Flathead on and off. If you have a Montana license, you can fish it from the road side most of the way. After you cross the river, you don't need a license ( assuming that all fishing in Glacier is still free ).

There is some spectacular mountain scenery along the way. Scenery that very few people ever get to see. There are a couple hikes in the area that will take you to some high passes with great views, if that is your thing.

John
    The fish are always right.

Talk to Dave Brown at Stumptown Anglers in Whitefish. I like the guy, he is straightforward and honest.

Inquire about the flow and release from Crazy Horse Dam for the Flathead.

There are lakes up there on tribal land that hold some big fish, and there is a number of lakes on federal land too. I know a guy that has relatives up there, and they fish some kinda unheard of smaller streams and catch fish. All in all, it is not my favorite part of the state to fish.

If I were that close to the Elk River in Alberta, I'd have to consider making a run up there.
    Last edited by Rawthumb; 06-21-2009 at 05:38 PM.

The lakes on the Blackfoot Indian Reservation hold some huge fish. You can fish from the shore or out of a float tube.

There are some nice places to stay in East Glacier including a national park hotel.

The guys at Lakestream flyshop in Whitefish and Arrends in Columbia Falls can hook you up also.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

+ Reply to Thread