It wasn't all very technical water, but it sure was fun.

10 day trip to ID-Boise area. Water was too high to fish much around town. I did get out to the Boise one day, but no luck.

Went East to the Hagerman/Thousand Springs/Malad/Niagra Springs area for an overnighter. This was where the fun began.

We fished the Malad just above the Snake, and below the gorge. The water was beautiful. I caught a few fish, all wild, nothing big. First time in my life I had caught more than one non-suicidal fish in a day on a nymph. I actually think I understand how to nymph now...and it DOES work just like fishing bait. My father-in-Law (FTL) didn't enjoy himself very much, he was having one of those bad days where everything went wrong. We packed up and went further along the highway (30??) to Billingsly Creek.

This was the technical part. Once we found water fishable w/o a float tube (Aqualife section) we saw a lot of large fish, which we decided to come back for during the evening.

**mini rant begins**

PLEASE STOP CALLING THOSE MUTANT ALBINO TROUT THEY GROW IN IDAHO AND SELL IN THE SUPERMART "GOLDEN TROUT"!! THAT IS AN INSULT TO THE CALIFORNIA STATE FRESHWATER FISH, WHICH IS A BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF CREATION.

**mini rant ends**

Those mutant trout sure are easy to see in the waters they escaped to. And they definately get big. I saw a couple caught in the 3lb plus range. I found them to be good from a purely observational perspective. I can see them, so I can learn more about where real trout might hang out.

We traveled on to the Niagra Springs steelhead hatchery (State run). This is one of my FTL's favorite place to fish. It is almost all stockers, however, so some here may turn up their nose. We fished the outflow of the hatchery, and over the space of about 6-8 hours over 2 days caught at least 100 fish between the two of us.

Personally, I get bored with that, so I started teaching myself. Worked a nymph under a bobber (yes bobber. I don't believe that any strike indicatior is any better than my tiny red and white bobber) and caught fish. Worked the nymph w/o a bobber and caught fish. Worked a dry..caught fish. Let the dry sink and stripped it back...caught fish for the first time ever using this technique. Tried a streamer (bugger) stripped and caught fish for the first time ever even trying a streamer. Fished a streamer on the swing (a first) and caught them that way too. I know they are stockers, not like wild fish, but I did catch some dink wild ones too. This does not mean that I can catch a 25" fish on Silver Creek or some other technical water, but I understand more of the mechanics.

Long story short...I now, after 8 years of FFing feel 1000% more confident about my abilities. Thanks for following along.

This weekend is somewhere local...within 2-3 hours of Sacramento for the whole weekend...just gotta figure out where I want to go camp. Anyone wanna go?