+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout Bag replacement

Question Trout Bag replacement

Hello, I want to replace the trout bag on my net. I bought this net from "Guy Rich" about 30+ years ago. I bought a "Catch and Release" type replacement bag and while it's true that I have been a fly-fisherman for almost 40 years I never replaced a net bag. Are there some easy to follow instructions available (pictures/video, ok)? Thanks in advance, Rusty Rat

Personally I think these are the way to go...

Just the replacement net is available...

Easily zip on...

Several sizes....

I have even put one on an old tennis racket....

http://www.themeasurenet.com/index.htm

Ditto what ducksterman said on Measurenet, love it. If given the choice I would go with the rubber net bag and not the nylon one. Personal choice, also, hooks don't get snarled in the rubber bag.

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I'd go with the ghost (clear) rubber.

Rusty,

Like you, I've been fly fishing for a bit over 40 years and have never replaced a net bag either.

I notice that you already have a new net bag. Any chance that the folks where you got it can be of assistance with the replacement process?

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thumbs up bag replacement

This is a really nice frame. I cherish it but want to still use it. I bought it in the Catskills probably from Harry Darbee. I don't want to cover it up. Thank you all for your replies. RR

Rusty
    I believe you'll find everything that you need here;
    http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/
    KABOOM1 has built several nets for himself and friends, and has gotten the material for the bags from them.
    Bill

Default So easy, a caveman could do it.......

RR - Don't let this project scare you - it's a piece of cake! Here's what you'll need:

- A Griffin bobbin threader (you could use a piece of fine piano wire instead).
    - 20 feet of 30lb dacron fly line backing (I dyed mine black with Rit dye).
    - a dozen or so wire bread bag ties.

1. Cut the cord on the old bag to remove it from the net frame. You can cut it in several places to expedite the process.

2. With the old bag and attachment cord removed from the frame, now is a good time to check the finish of the frame to see if it needs to be touched up. The finish on mine was pretty good, but I used some 000 steel wool to smooth the finish, and give it a nice satin appearance. Wipe it with a damp cloth to clean it up, and make sure there's no gunk in the grooves or holes in the frame.

3. Make a "ball" with the end of the backing - I put a couple half hitches, one on top of the other, in the end of the backing, and heated it with a lighter to remove the frayed end. This ball must be big enough to keep from being pulled through a hole in the frame under tension.

4. Position the new bag on the frame using the bread ties. the bag is supposed to be on the inside of the frame. I used a bread tie every 3 or 4 holes to hold things in place - they get removed as you string the net up.

5. Starting at the handle end, feed the backing through the frame from the outside (use the end of the backing without the ball on it), pull through until the ball on the end of the backing is flush with the frame.

6. Feed the backing through the net bag just below the top rim of the bag, and bringing the backing over the rim of the bag, feed it back through the same hole in the frame it went into. The bobbin threader works great for this.

7. Move to the next hole in the frame by laying the backing in the groove in the outside of the frame, and repeat step 6. Do this all the way around the frame until you get back to the handle. Remove the bread ties as you get to each one in the attachment process.

8. At the last hole, pull the backing tight and put a couple more half hitches in it to keep it from pulling through the hole in the frame.

Nothing done here that can't be undone, and started again. It's a lot easier than this all sounds!
    Last edited by Heritage Angler; 06-27-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Like it was said before,,,, Look into a rubber netbag. If you practice catch & release they do less harm to the fish than the nylon & they don't catch hooks like a cotton or nylon net bag does. The only downside is that they are a little bit heavier ...

+ Reply to Thread