+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roxk Creek - Montana

There used to be (probably still is) grayling in some of those creeks that flow into the big hole just north and west of Wisdom. Haven't been there in a lot of years. Musigbrod lake has grayling in it as well. It's just a bit north, and up toward the mountains to the west from Wisdom.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    There used to be (probably still is) grayling in some of those creeks that flow into the big hole just north and west of Wisdom. Haven't been there in a lot of years. Musigbrod lake has grayling in it as well. It's just a bit north, and up toward the mountains to the west from Wisdom.
    Some of the reading I've done on that stretch of the Big Hole leads me to believe that it is possible to catch brookies, browns, bows, cutts and grayling all on a given day - given some good fortune. Not sure I will be coming back to Idaho that way, but if I do, I'll be looking for some water to get on in the direction you suggested, Lew.

John
    The fish are always right.

Smile Rock Creek Slideshow

Here's the slideshow from my July 2 and July 4 outings on Rock Creek. Most of the pics show places where JC's Salmonfly, Joe's Royal Humpy, a couple different versions of Harrop's Henry's Fork Caddis, and my own gray drake emerger met up with some locals. They all seemed to get along well.

The first pic ( after the watch ) shows the best hole I have found so far. It produced anywhere from five browns and /or cutts in hand to maybe ten or twelve fishies in hand or in sight every time I have fished it. If you happen by this spot, be sure to throw a fly or two in there.

Will be tying some green drake emergers and duns, on the supposition that the green drake hatches that I saw every day I fished Rock Creek are a given over the summer. Even if they aren't the right fly for Rock Creek next time up there, they will do fine on Big Elk Creek down here in SE Idaho come the midafternoon of most late summer days.

Also need to replenish my supply of caddis. I caught an evening caddis hatch on Rock Creek several years ago and had great fun - except for the bats that joined in when the caddis really started coming off.

John
    The fish are always right.

John, pics of Rock Ck and Nez Perce Ck are great! Keep the pics coming.

glenn

Great pics John. That looks like a really great section of water. Sounds like you've found, or should I say, developed some good producers for it as well! A better combination is hard to imagine.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread