I was fishing my favorite stretch of the Ausable (Michigan) this past weekend, and noticed a handful of very big fish (20+ ") resting behind the depressions caused by rocks in the river. The water was about thigh deep where I stood, but probably deeper where these fish were (hip to chest deep). I could see them feeding actively on whatever it was floating by. These rocks where not that big - probably a little larger than a basketball from my vantage point (off to the side).

I was fishing a size 14 unweighted Hares Ear Nymph with about 0.9 grams of split shots crimped on, and with no floats or indicators on a 9+ ft leader. 3 times I hooked into three different fish. All broke free from my stupid excited reaction (really really bummed). However, I was able to land about 30+ little 1 pounders which after awhile got very annoying. They were basically getting in the way of my hooking more of the bigger fish.

My question is this..."What rig would you use to get to these 20+ " fish feeding from behind rocks on the river bed?". A rig that would also get past the little ones.