+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fotw

Hybrid View

Default Fotw

Thanks for introducing Leonard Wright's caddis to the Board, Tom. A couple points... The book was titled "Fishing The Dry Fly As A Living Insect"- in case anyone searches for a copy. Also, he emphasized tying the wing about twice the hook shank length, which made it much easier to skitter. The fly rode only on hackle and the wing tips, with the hook bend out of the water. Not to take away from the FOTW at all. I really like it, and will be sticking some in trout jaws this summer!

Chuck

I have a copy of that book and it is very well written and ahead of it's time IMO. Found it and some other first editions on a house clean out I was helping someone with several years a go. Thanks for reminding me, I will have to re-read that one again!

Jeff

I tried his "sudden inch" with the original pattern tied with hackle fiber wings. It worked! Then, as we fly folk often do, I "discovered" another pattern and/or technique, and forgot about Wright's book. You're correct. A reread is called for.

Chuck

Looks like a winner to me. I may have to dig out my tying gear(just moved and will do again in 2 months). I watch many a caddis skitter atop the water today and would of been nice to have a fly that is designed to do so.

+ Reply to Thread