+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trouble converting Pflueger 1495 to left hand retrieve

Hybrid View

Default Trouble converting Pflueger 1495 to left hand retrieve

This should not be this hard...

I just purchased a 1960?s version Pflueger 1495 that is in very good condition, but is set up for right hand retrieve. I found some instructions online to convert the unit to left hand retrieve, but am having problems. I turned the pawl 180 degrees but now I can?t seem to get the reel to peel off any line at all. It just sticks.

The other problem I am having is that the groove in the nylon ratchet that the bronze bushing fits into is only on one side (the side with the 4 notches). When I flip it over, the bushing sits up higher and the spool does not seat down on all the way onto the spindle. The instructions I found online were actually a copies of a set of instructions for a 1950?s vintage Medalist. Did the ratchet change after this? Do I need to get a different ratchet to convert this reel?

Jim,

Had the same problem with my 1495. The reels were not convertible until around 1963.

You'll need to purchase a reversible ratchet from Bill at Onepfoot...great product!!

http://www.onepfoot.com

Rich

Great... a $22 fix to a $20 reel...

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

For that $22 you have a 60 year antique reel that will easily go another 50 years. Medalists are almost bullet proof, find anything else in fly fishing that for $44 will last two or three life times. Just think of it as an upgrade to a classic.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Your other alternative is to obtain a drag plate from Shakespeare for a recent model 1495. This should cost somewhat less as it's made of plastic. When you order the part from Shakespeare you have to tell them its for a current model 1495 (model AK, I believe) or they won't play ball. Trust me on this.

Jim I pm'd you I have a drag plate I can send you just send your address.
    It's from an older 1495 that I stripped for parts..but it can reverse. I own and use a late 50's 1595 which is the lefthand version they made back then for a couple of years...I've also ordered from shakespeare as gadabout says without a problem just make sure you tell them its for an AK the newer parts(plates, springs, etc )all work great on the older ones. I think the plate was $3
    Janus

+ Reply to Thread