+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick opinions about the JC swap auction

Blog Entries

Default Quick opinions about the JC swap auction

At the end of this month, I'll be setting up the JC swap auction on the buy/sell page here. I want it to run smooth, I want it to be fair, but I'm not sure the exact format to use yet.

Here's what I'm thinking: Post the auction for 4 sets of swap flies. It will have the description, fly list, rules, and the finishing time. Allow bids on the flies that must be for a higher price (no underbidding since there are 4 sets), and for more than one set. So, for example you can bid $10 for 3 sets. When the swap ends at the posted time, the sets go to the highest 4 bids. So if there are bids for $20, $15, and $10 for 3 sets, the 4 sets will go to the 20 and 15 dollar bids, and the $10 bid will only get 2 of the sets.

Does this seem reasonable? Any other ideas or considerations that you can give me? I haven't decided whether to add a shipping charge or just donate it to the whole fund yet and haven't decided whether to offer the option of doing additional display cases if they want to cover expenses. I probably won't do that, but will document the one I'm putting together for Deanna.
    Thanks in advance for your opinions/ideas.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

At least ... add a zero to the amounts!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

Default ...huh?

the 4 sets will go to the 20 and 15 dollar bids, and the $10 bid will only get 2 of the sets.
    since i'm not particularly clever with numbers, your system is a bit hard for me to follow. how can you give 6 sets away when only four were offered? somewhere i've misunderstood something.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Normand Guest

if there is 4 sets of flies to auction, why not have an individual auction for each set and let bidders bid on the set they prefer. the highest bid takes that set

i too got lost on the fuzzy math

Default Auctin

Blue,

I have to confess that you have me confused. Why not just have 4 seperate bids? Why should someone be able to say $10 for 3 sets? If someone wants more then one set, let them bid on seperated auctions.

Just my thought,

Cal E. Batis

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    can only echo this...

I guess it's best so auction the sets separately,
    so make 4 lots..
    Cheers, Hans

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Unhappy Confused here too!

Hi Blue,

I sure hope that those sets of flies are going to sell for more than you suggest or we will be putting fly-tying sweat shops out of business in a lot of third-world countries. $10 bucks for fifty special flies seems a tad cheap. I do realize that you were just giving an example.

I would have four separate auctions as others have suggested I would also suggest that they be run one after the other and not together. Thanks again for your support of this excellent cause. 8T

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    I sure hope that those sets of flies are going to sell for more than you suggest or we will be putting fly-tying sweat shops out of business in a lot of third-world countries. $10 bucks for fifty special flies seems a tad cheap. I do realize that you were just giving an example.
    Yep, I'd hope for a better bid than $20. It is going for a good cause!

Since my example was obviously confusing, I'll definitely split up the auction. Each will be on a separate thread just to make sure there is no confusion about what lot you are bidding for. It will also be stated in clear terms that all proceeds will go to the JC bench fund. I will not subtract shipping from bids and it won't be a net value. If you win the auction for $200 (better, Betty?), $200 will be sent in to the bench fund.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Oh, yah! Much better!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking One more suggestion!

Hi Blue,

I would suggest that you complete the auction on one set of flies before you open the bidding on the next set. I've seen auctions on eBay that just sat there and did nothing because the person had multiple sales on the same item. The bids were split between the multiple items and the spirit of competition, so necessary for a good auction result, was lost. Just my 2% of dollar---others will doubtlessly disagree. 8T

+ Reply to Thread