+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Blanks

Hybrid View

Sorry Ron. but there is no "secret society" or worldwide conspiracy to keep bamboo rods the exclusive property of the elite as you seem to think and are telling those with no knowledge or experience about the subject on your website. What there is is a lot of people who enjoy all aspects of owning, fishing and, for some such as myself, making bamboo rods, some of whom belong to various websites devoted to the subject and the Rodmaker's Listserv, all of which are open to any who care to join and there's no secret about any of them. I don't blame anyone for trying to sell their product, specially in times like these, but you might give your tactics a review.
    john

furthermore you can't do much better than buying a channer rod. top quality at a very reasonable price. were I in the market to buy a bamboo rod, he's the guy I'd be talking to.

Normand Guest

channer rod

website

Blog Entries

Default From A "Builders" Prospective

I've been "round the horn" on the topic of "making" blanks. I agree with Ron , that "making" a blank from scratch is or may not be for everyone. Also I dont know of anyone "making" their own "Graphite" blanks. If someone is offering a good quality bamboo blank at a decent price , I think it would inspire many to build on it and more to fish with it. I agree with John that there is no secret society , but I will say that for the most part bamboo folks are very opinionated! There also seems to be a crossover thinking about collecting ,mixed in with fishing when it comes to bamboo where lies some of the problems leading folks to believe that all bamboo folks are snobs. I personally dont buy this, and just feel they are extremley passionate about their sport.

All that being said, it is my belief that more folks could enjoy fishing bamboo if quality blanks were available at a decent price. I keep saying "quality", because who wants to build on a blank that isnt straight or shows glue lines, not to mention not being backed by the maker or the supplier? Ron, there are quite a few good builders and makers on this site as well as potential customers. I could be wrong ,but all I think we're asking is to let us examine your offerings and if they are good , I believe you'll more than profit from the review........Ed

I dare say that the many who think they would like to fish a boo are many times sadly disappointed with their action when growing up with these super hi modulus graphites. I strongly recommned that these potential boo owners either beg, steal or borrow a boo rod and fish it for a day. I have fished with boo for over 40 years and sometimes prefer a graphite. BTW, starter kits are fine too. I bought a kit in the 70's from a now defunct outfit in Springfield, Ohio (Angler's Pro Shop) and am still trying to track down the origin of the blank. One responder even rememberd the logo of the mail order house in detail and suggested that the blank may have been in England.

Ron, I've purchased from your site however I do find the "Bamboo Society" comments inaccurate and a bit offensive.

As for a "reasonable" priced "well made" blank, What's a reasonable priced blank if it takes 20 - 30 hours to build the blank to the point of wrapping and finishing?

I refer to it as the "wally world syndrome". We complain about the jobs going off shore, we don't like the amount of product being imported from China, we want well made product, we support American labor, yet we go to walmart because it's cheap... (I've been guilty).

Vote with your hard earned dollars, you have a choice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by halomidge View Post
    Ron, I've purchased from your site however I do find the "Bamboo Society" comments inaccurate and a bit offensive.

As for a "reasonable" priced "well made" blank, What's a reasonable priced blank if it takes 20 - 30 hours to build the blank to the point of wrapping and finishing?

I refer to it as the "wally world syndrome". We complain about the jobs going off shore, we don't like the amount of product being imported from China, we want well made product, we support American labor, yet we go to walmart because it's cheap... (I've been guilty).

Vote with your hard earned dollars, you have a choice.

I think Rons prices "are" resonable....the question is , are they (both US and Chinese) of good quaility which I explained what to be aware of and look for previously................No further comment needed ..........Ed

Norm,
    That would be a rod made by me, john channer, in durango,co. I'm a part time bamboo rodmaker and don't have a website, tho I've been seriously considering one for about 12 years now. If you come to the chat roon here on thursday evenings, I'm generally there around 7:30 or so mountain time and I will be glad to tell you anything you would like to know about my rods.
    john

knowing H and H as I do I will be ordering one of the boo kits in the near future. I know that with the 3 day inspection period I have no worries that if something is wrong Ron will take care of it. Once I purchase it and build it I will be happy to report how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    knowing H and H as I do I will be ordering one of the boo kits in the near future. I know that with the 3 day inspection period I have no worries that if something is wrong Ron will take care of it. Once I purchase it and build it I will be happy to report how it does.
    Same here! Even if I have to sell something to make it happen.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread