+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Blanks

Hybrid View

Default Bamboo Blanks

Just curious if anyone has ordered one of the new bamboo rod blanks from H&H. I see they have an imported one for a very good price and a made in the USA one for a bit more.

Just wondered if anyone has bought one and what you think about them.

Yonks

if yer considering this I highly recommend the american made blank. the imported ones are of questionable quality...i.e. no pattern to node spacing, poor quality ferrules poorly finished, etc.

others may disagree, but I'm looking at them from a maker's perspective and they just don't cut it.

Default Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. blur View Post
    if yer considering this I highly recommend the american made blank. the imported ones are of questionable quality...i.e. no pattern to node spacing, poor quality ferrules poorly finished, etc.

others may disagree, but I'm looking at them from a maker's perspective and they just don't cut it.
    Yonks,

Read this again...and take heed!

Jeremy.

nice to see that someone sees the light.

then there's this...
    You see, what the ?bamboo folks? don't want you to know is that they're part of this exclusive club or some sort of secret society, that 'exclude' you. Why? Because you're not rich (and not all are rich, don't have hours and hours and hours to read or study about bamboo fly rods, you don't know a culm from a node and so on. But you know what? You can fish bamboo at a reasonable cost AND in a reasonable time. Since we can supply the blanks for you, prices starting at just $135 and kits starting at just $275, you'll be able assemble your ?instant heirloom? in just a long weekend!!! If you've built a few graphite rods already, one weekend will have you on your way.
    from the H&H website, which I don't buy for a second.

if yer interested in fishing bamboo at a very fair price, by all means assemble a kit, but I would hesitate to call it an instant heirloom. especially if built on one of the imported blanks. furthermore to obtain a quality finish in a weekend is absolutely absurd.

I think if I made it, my grandchildren (like I'll have any) would probably want it, hence heirloom. Doesn't mean heirloom quality. Also, I noticed they sell the kits with the imported bamboo blanks, and not the US made ones. Weird.

Jim

I hate to add another question , but this thread got my attention. I've looked into bamboo rods and have not found any that seem to have "quality" and "good price" both. From my research if you want a "quality" bamboo rod be ready to pay for it. I have no problem with this because the process to build one seems to take a lot of time which is not cheap. I have seen one guy on e-bay that offers rebuildt rods at a good price but without being a rod builder who knows about the quality of the components or quality of workmanship. I would like to have a bamboo rod one day but I'm not buying one because the price looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. blur View Post

Can I assume you've purchased the imported and US made blanks from H&H to make this statement?
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

assume nothing.

I build my own blanks from the culm and bamboo rods.
    I've based my claim on the imported blanks (and rods) I've seen and in comparison to my own and other maker's blanks.

Blog Entries

Cool Just another opinion

I've tried my best to stay out of this discussion but,...... assumptions cannot be made based on not examining the particular product of question. I cant support or ridicule H&H's cane blanks having never seen them. It is true that in the past a lot of imported blanks have not met standards expected. At the same time what makes it any different to thinK an unknown US maker would be any different unless examined? I'm fairly sure if H&H were asked to submit one of each blank for examination & review they would be happy to. IMO this is where JC, and his product reviews will be sorely missed........Ed
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 06-25-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    clipped: I'm fairly sure if H&H were asked to submit one of each blank for examination & review they would be happy to. IMO this is where JC, and his product reviews will be sorely missed........Ed
    I haven't gotten into the on line fray about these rods ... yet ... BUT ... would certainly VOLUNTEER to receive the said blanks from H&H, build 'em up. and work 'em out!
    Sorta think the foreign rods would be a total hoot to use, cuz you wouldn't have to worry near as much about the rod, as you would with a multi thousand dollar rod!

Offer stands. Ron!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread