Hi, Folks,

I bought a Jeep Liberty because I couldn't afford a Cherokee. It gets me to work, hauls my family and, of course, gets me to that stream to catch some trout. I offer several grades of bamboo blanks for the same reason.

Our low priced kits are simply to get folks started at a reasonable price. It's to have fun and give it a try. Winding a bamboo rod can take weeks if you're very particular or want to match traditional materials and methods, but not everyone wants to do this, has the time or cares. Some folks want to use silk thread and some nylon, some chrome guides, other Tich, some nickel silver seats and some aluminum and so on. Some folks will tell you there's a right way and a wrong way!! We don't agree. With a bit of time and care, you'll have a little piece of the fly fishing dream that you will enjoy for years!

As you might imagine, I've had many, many blanks in my hand. Nothing can compare to some of the great American builders, many of whom buy components from us. This is why we offer hand made domestic blanks too. I've spoken with many of these builders recently and they are, for the most part, encouraging our effort at H&H. They know that this will lead to more awareness using bamboo, and that will benefit all involved. We'll even put you in touch with folks who will teach you to hand make a blank if you're able ($$) to do so.

As for fishability, Betty has it right. I fish these imported blanks and they're a hoot! They fish nicely. Our experience shows that you can spend all of your time learning about it, or you can just do it. So we say, give it a try and see where it takes you! Maybe someday, you'll be inspired to hand make bamboo rods in your garage!

Please remember that nothing, nothing is a silver bullet when it comes to fly fishing. It's supposed to be fun . . . and that's it!! Be well!

Thanks,

Ron -- Hook & Hackle