to Mr. Hatch and everybody,

In another thread you stated you found out the little metal eye shoved into the flyline was not the best thing to use. But you don't state why it is NOT the best. Why isn't it?

I have mentioned this little metal eye 2-3 times on here and no one has yet to provide the negatives of it.

I have had a pretty good break in fly fishing, like 47 yrs. But been back at it for couple of yrs now. I would like to know what the negatives are for using the metal eye. I have read a lot about the "best" knot for line to leader and intend to practice and try some of them. However, every time it is time to go fishing, off I go with my current set up. I still use the metal eye. I have never never ever tied a leader to a line. I have never ever had the end of the fly line to leader fail. I have never had any eye come our or break. EVER. It will float with your floating flyline, just like the fly does. If it is a sinking line....so what it it sinks? I sincerely am not being challenging. I guess I am showing my igorance. I do not understand why the metal eye is never used by "accomplished" fishermen. I only need to know one knot....the same knot I tie the fly on with, I tie the leader to the metal eye with. Sooooooo what's the big deal?

Gem
Hopefully others have this same curiosity. Otherwise I am going to get slammed.