+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little bitty depth finders for a pontoon

Smile Little bitty depth finders for a pontoon

I have a little pontoon boat that Im having a lot of fun with but seem to have a recurring problem. To wit : I cant see the darn bottom of the ponds that Ive been frequenting (another curse of warm water fishing) so have no idea how deep , stucture , fish or any of the other good things that go along with not getting skunked . Lately Ive been toying with the idea of one of those tiny depth/fish locators that you stick "D"cell batteris in . Like the ones that Cabellas has on sale now.
    Any thought about this . I do not have a motor on this pontoon and there isnt much room . Thoughts and opinions and first hand accounts are what Im looking for .
    Thanks,
    Perch

How about a link to the one you are referencing?

The item in question is a Humminbird SmartCast.
    I have one and it works, sort of. It will give an image of the water column. The problem is that the width of the cone of area being examined is very small. It may take MANY casts to get a feel for a particular area and even then you have to remember what the previous casts looked like.
    My feeling is that it's better than nothing. I found one piece of underwater structure with it that has produced fish. Wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Note: reel it in VERY slowly.

Blog Entries

I have an older model of the Norcross Hawkeye. It gives you OK results and you can get a recertified one for around $60. It is a hand held unit that has a transducer suspended under a float. It packs up small and is easy to use around docks and off of canoes and tubes. The new model lets you mount to the hull and troll with it and still remove it when you need to. I believe it has a 45 degree cone.

http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/pr.../overview.htm#
    Last edited by ol' blue; 06-14-2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Unless it's very deep, how about a rope with markings every 5/10 feet? Low tech and inexpensive!!!

Going along the lines of the rope idea...a trick that a lot of chironomid fishers use to determine the depth is attach the forceps to the fly and drop it in the water till it hits bottom.

If you are thinking about the Hummingbird Fishin Buddies (formerly Bottomline), these are great on a small pontoon. Just get a holster and it will easily mount on pontoon or float tube. If you are thinking of one of the handheld depthfishers that look a flashlight (designed for ice fishing), then I think you can reconsider. YMMV.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    If you are thinking about the Hummingbird Fishin Buddies (formerly Bottomline), these are great on a small pontoon. Just get a holster and it will easily mount on pontoon or float tube. If you are thinking of one of the handheld depthfishers that look a flashlight (designed for ice fishing), then I think you can reconsider. YMMV.
    I agree. I bought the cheapest model hbird fishin buddy this year for my kick boat. Here is my 2 cents.

Very handy/easy on AA batteries/shows bottom well/shows some scruture/very narrow cone angle/might show a few fish/temp gauge is handy/turn up sensitivty to 30/shows weeds pretty good/would reccomend them to friends/got mine new off ebay/I use a homemade holster.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbottomline1200.html (review of the 1200)

or

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/73438/reviews.htm (review of the 4200)http://sonar.ru/manuals/download/eng...ine/fb4200.pdf (operations manual for the 4200)

I have the 4200 but still in the box. Haven't used it yet. My friend has one older model he likes very very much. We were at Cabelas and I asked for his advice. His does not have the side view feature. He said he wish his had the side view. He recommeded the 4200 so I purchased it for $219.

I have not used it yet. So I cannot comment on it. However I posted some links for reviews for you.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 06-17-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    How about a link to the one you are referencing?
    Not sure why you won't answer this perch???????? I've got one that I've used on a pontoon...float tube and NFO Nav II....but I don't know if it's the one you are asking about????????/

+ Reply to Thread