Please help.

I am researching for a new article and hope to generate useful information to help amputees to fish -- information I can pass on to organizations that assist handicapped individuals, such as Project Healing Waters.

I am told that one out of every 1000 vets is an amputee. Add to this victims of accidents, stroke or some spinal injuries, and the number of one-handed individuals is very large. One of the biggest hurdles one-handed fishermen face is KNOTS.

After extensive research and experimentation, I can say that a one handed person is at an extreme disadvantage trying to tie fishing knots. Even tying a simple overhand knot in small monofilament is a daunting task. There are one-handed climbing knots, and some general use rope related knots, but fishing knots seem to need some serious attention.

SO...

This is an invitation to PM me, or add to this thread, or send me web sites or make any suggestion as to how a one handed person could tie simple fishing knots.

In connection with my research, I have purchased several knot books, found many knot sites on the Internet, and tried the two tools that are supposed to make one-handed knot tying easier. I am extremely disappointed.

Please. The more I think about this, the more it bothers me that no one seems to be finding a solution to a most basic fishing dilema. It bothers me that I want to help, and can't.

Want to feel helpless for a while? Stick a hand in your pocket and then try to do some simple fishing or tying skills...like getting the hook in the vise. (I actually worked that out by magnetizing my vise). But knots have me completely baffled.

Help...please.