+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panfish Flies Section

Hybrid View

Default Panfish Flies Section

Excuse my ignorance, but is there a list of panfish flies for tying on our site? I can't seem to find any. Sorry if it escaped my eyes.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

FishDave is my go to guy for panfish info. Hopefully he will chime in and share his Obiwon knowledge.

Default Panfish

I realize this isn't a good time to begin something new, but maybe in the future we could begin a section of patterns just for bass and panfish?

check the panfish archives for a lot of panfish flies as well as manyof the flies of the week.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Thanks Clay!
    Actually, you can search the Panfish and Warmwater articles from the Home Page. As Joe Cool pointed out, Rick Zieger wrote a pair of very good articles on his favorite bluegills flies, and another pair on his favorite crappie flies. Of those, my favorite is his Boa Yarn Leech pattern, which has caught hundreds of fish for me (bass, bluegills, crappies, and even catfish). It works great!

In addition to those, another good resource is Ward Bean's Warmwater Fly Tyer website:
    http//:www.warmwaterflytyer.com/

There are a number of patterns in the FOTW archives on this website that will catch bluegills. Woolly buggers of various sizes and colors work really well for panfish. And a variety of the SHWAPF pattern has done really well for me, especially early in the year right after ice-out. Small foam topwaters, like a gurgler or any foam bug, will work, especially those with rubber legs! Mohair leeches are another favorite of mine.

The main thing about bluegill flies is for the fly to be "buggy" looking, good action from rubber legs or rabbit/marabou tails...and KEEP THE TAILS SHORT. Bluegills are notorious for short-biting due to their small mouths. I try to keep any tail materials about 1/4" long.
    Hook sizes I use most are generally 8-12, and will often make a point to bend the barb down before tying the fly. Makes hook removal from the fish so much easier.

Good Luck!!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Default Thanks

Thanks. I'm going to tie a few up and head to a lake this weekend.

If you go to the main page, click features, click panfish, then click the archive of panfish articles, theres 2 articles for Rick's favorite bluegill flies and 2 for crappie flies. Thats a good 24 patterns to start with. The articles are about halfway down the page or just use control f to find the word favorite on that page.

Hi Lastchance,

Joe Hyde really likes the #10 gold ribbed hare's ear flash back. He recently told friend Kevin and myself that all fish have and do eat nymphs. He has had great success with it on a large variety of panfish.

Regards,

Gandolf

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone. I've been so tuned into trout for the past 25 years this is like a new thing to me.

Normand Guest

any trout fly will catch panfish

+ Reply to Thread