+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yarn and rubber bands

Hybrid View

hutjensmpg Guest

Default Yarn and rubber bands

I recently got the nymphing pamphlet by fly fishermen mag, which is a compilation of articles from the mag. In there, it describes using those small rubber bands kids use for their braces to attach a yarn indicator so it's adjustable. I love yarn as an indicator, but don't like the premade ones and their attachment rings or especially tying it in and having to retie to move it. So this sounds like the answer to my dreams.

However, I'm striking out all over the place trying to find them. Co-workers (no kids with braces?!?), drug stores, pharmacy sections of local department stores. On the internet they are sold in HUGE quanties. Anyone use this method and, if so, where do you get the bands?

Thanks much.

Try your local dentists office.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Hi Hut,

I've been using this method for a few years now. I get the bands from the orthodontist my kids go to. He gives them to me for free ( actual cost $10,000 for their braces) Ha Ha. I cut a straw from a Capri Sun into two inch sections and wrap the 1/8" band around it 3 or 4 times. Insert the leader into the straw, pull the band off onto the leader forming a loop. Put a piece of macrame yarn in the loop, pull the leader loop tight and comb out the yarn. Add some floatant and trim the top to size. It's cheap and works really well and is easily adjustable.

Beaver

Thought I had a stash for life from our granddaughters orthodontist (I use them for holding the guides on blanks while I wrap) ... amazing how fast you can go through them!! Have been getting them from our dentist recently ... I think he goes across the hall to the orthodontist to get them!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

hutjensmpg Guest

Thanks for the tips - I'll try my dentist. Betty - are these things rated somehow? I seem to remember from when was a kid that there were different sizes or thicknesses. Any tips on which work better?

Just use small "O" rings. They are cheap and readily available. They last longer than rubber bands which rot.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Default O-rings

Try somewhere like this:

http://www.metrogasket.com/o-rings/p...ing_prices.htm

If you take a sheet of closed cell foam and use a paper cutter or scissors (if you're talented) and cut tiny strips you can create what they call "tentacle" strike indicators using two O-rings.

Take a pair of forceps and slide an O-ring on to it.
    Take a bunch of closed cell strips (about 1.5" long) and grasp all of them together on one end with the forceps.
    Pull the O-ring over the forceps onto the closed cell foam.
    Bend the closed cell foam in the middle into a "U" shape around the O-ring
    Put another O-ring on the forceps
    Grab the closed cell foam around the first O-ring and pull the bottom of the "U" -- including the first O-ring--through the second O-Ring
    Voila
    Last edited by CoachBob; 06-12-2009 at 01:46 AM.

hut,
    I too, remember them being different sizes and thickness', but I guess I'm of the "beggars can't be choosers" theory when it comes to the ones I use now!!

I'll adapt!!

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Just go off the phone with a dear friend who had read this thread. She told me of another source for the tiny elastics! The DOG GROOMER!! She said they use the little elastics on the "froo froo dogs" (OK ... her words! not mine!! love ya C!!!). So check out your Petsmart, too!!

You know you can knot the piece of yarn onto your tippet, right? Works very well with smaller nymphs. I keep about 6" of synthetic yarn in my vest and cut off 1" sections as needed. I create a loop knot in the tippet, put the section of yarn in, pull the knot snug. Very sensitive indicator. Much easier to cast, too, especially with lighter weight lines. Just make sure you use floatant on the yarn only.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread