Quote Originally Posted by newfie View Post
WF and fast rods can work but you won?t cast far or have the same kind of control. No way man!

Remember, as the energy from your cast dissipates, it's still more likely to transfer the needed energy to the tip of a DT because the line goes from wide to thin just as the casting energy goes from max and dissipates to minimum. Similar to how a bullwhip generates so much speed as the whip gradually thins-out.

Therefore, med or med/fast rod with matched DT line both weighted to conditions works like a charm.

WF lines, especially some species-specific WF lines, cause problems when getting past the shooting head. Many of the lines designed for fast rods carry most of the weight too close to the line tip for roll casting. This is because have running line out and that?ll kill the energy transfer?..especially with a fast rod as they?re often tougher to load from D-loop and water tension alone. Especially when tying to get your loading tention from a thin running line that picks up off the water too quick to load the rod.

But skill counts for everything, all I need is a shoe string, tree branch and I'll cath em all baby.......Oh ya, I said it!
He is bang on, and most fishing books will acctully say pretty much the same thing. Anyone new to Flyfish should use a DT as well, as it will be more forgiving on a poor cast.